Audio stop then video stops and playback ends

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
robertnealdavis

Audio stop then video stops and playback ends

Post by robertnealdavis »

I have started to have a new issue with UMS. Previously, my Ubuntu machine would become virtually unusable and have to be hard rebooted, this was due to UMS using all available child processes, I have still not solved that issue, but after the latest Ubuntu updates, now many of my AVI files stop about halfway through. First the audio stops, then the video and then UMS has to be restarted. Has anyone else experienced similar issues?
Nadahar

Re: Audio stop then video stops and playback ends

Post by Nadahar »

I don't know if anyone else has had the same experience, but I can tell you that it's not the way it's supposed to be. There is two much information missing here to give any reasonable reply though. Please follow the text in red above so that we have some information about what is happening.

I don't know how UMS can "use all available child processes", I didn't even know there was such a limit. During normal playback UMS doesn't spawn any "child process" at all, but when transcoding it does. UMS use one of several "transcoding engines" depending on configuration and content format. The most common is FFmpeg, so this could be a FFmpeg problem. The FFmpeg version is normally controlled by the package manager on Linux, which could explain the difference after installing updates. UMS itself should be unaffected by installed package versions as long as there's a working Java version 7 or 8.
robertnealdavis

It has proven very difficult to follow the guidelines, when the issue happens the machine is in such a state I cannot even zip the logs from the UI,I have to restart then zip the logs. The last error in the logs was generated when I tried to zip the logs from the UI. Before quiting UMS, I get the following in a bash shell on the machine
bash: fork: retry: No child processes

The logs and config are attached, if there is anything in there than cn shed some light, I would greatly appreciate it.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(4.77 MiB) Downloaded 444 times
robertnealdavis

Looking at the logs, I am wondering if the issue is related to the constant connection requests from my Sony Blu-Ray player and the fact the cling threads reach over 500 (are the two related, I don't know the internals of UMS). If that is the case, I don't know how to stop the blu-ray player from making those connection requests, it seems to happen when the machine is even in standby.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@robertnealdavis

1) Do you have this issue with UMS 6.x.x as well ?
2) Do you have this issue only with PS3 (using it or just present on your network) ?
3) If you've only this issue when using the PS3, do this happen if you don't play or browse AVI/DIVX files ?
robertnealdavis

The media renderer we use the most often is the PS3, I have to try turning off the Sony BD player to see if the issue goes away. We play avis and mkvs (transcoded) mostly and haven't really noticed any correlation to the file type. I am going to try shutting down the BD player to see if the issue goes away and will post again in a couple days

Thank you for the support
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Don't forget to do the same test with the Sony BD player ONLY on your network, meaning shutdown the PS3.
robertnealdavis

It is definitely something to do wit the cling threads
DEBUG 2017-10-21 22:35:01.328 [cling-379] net.pms.network.UPNPControl CurrentTrack: 0
DEBUG 2017-10-21 22:35:01.328 [cling-379] net.pms.network.UPNPControl CurrentTrackDuration: 00:00:00
DEBUG 2017-10-21 22:35:01.328 [cling-379] net.pms.network.UPNPControl CurrentTrackMetaData:
DEBUG 2017-10-21 22:35:01.328 [cling-379] net.pms.network.UPNPControl CurrentTrackURI:
I cannot figure out what is causing this, but the threads are using up all the available resources on the machine. It takes a long time for this to happen.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@robertnealdavis I suspect that you have that issue only when PS3 is used, and still only when AVI/DIVX are played.
Anyway, only your tests and answers will clarify it.