Fixes for FFMpeg or MPlayer AC3 audio

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Vallimar

Fixes for FFMpeg or MPlayer AC3 audio

Post by Vallimar »

For anyone who has compiled their own recent versions of either FFMpeg or MPlayer knows, the AC3
audio is a problem when using MEncoder. The reason for this is that FFMpeg switched to a planar audio
format awhile ago but MPlayer did not support it up until just over a month ago. I had been reverting the
code in ffmpeg for the last few versions to work around this problem but earlier today I did some testing
of backporting the fix(es) in MPlayer svn to an earlier working checkout. If you want to try these out for
yourself, pick one and go with it. Only use one or the other, they will not work together at the same time.

The FFMpeg patch should work with all recent versions, 1.1 -> 2.0. I've been using it on 2.0 and 2.01 as
recently as today. The last known good checkout date for MPlayer is 2013-08-11. After that you will have
to use a git checkout of FFMpeg in order to compile, but even then, recent versions haven't worked with UMS
for me, so I would stick to the 8/11 or an earlier checkout.

The MPlayer patch has not had extensive testing as I only threw it together a couple hours ago, but audio
appeared to be working fine on the several anime mkv's I sampled at random.
Attachments
planar-ac3.diff.txt
Backport planar ac3 audio for MPlayer
(7.06 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
no-planar-ac3.diff.txt
Revert planar ac3 audio for FFMpeg
(4.89 KiB) Downloaded 438 times
DeFlanko

Re: Fixes for FFMpeg or MPlayer AC3 audio

Post by DeFlanko »

Nice Vallimar!

Is this only for the Linux OS?
Vallimar

Re: Fixes for FFMpeg or MPlayer AC3 audio

Post by Vallimar »

DeFlanko wrote:Nice Vallimar!

Is this only for the Linux OS?
Well, the patches are not Linux specific, you can apply them and compile under Windows also and should work the same.