Proper installation of UMS on ARM:

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
amidsal

Proper installation of UMS on ARM:

Post by amidsal »

Hi guys,

I'm having difficulties installing UMS on either my Banana Pi (ARM-v7) or my Rock64 (Arm-V8A) because of the plugins required for UMS to run properly. I have been following these two guides, below:

https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... structions
https://www.slsmk.com/how-to-install-un ... less-mode/

The instruction at slsmk.com works but many files can't be rendered at my TV. The official instruction (github) can't be completed because some packages, like tsmuxer, can't be installed in AArch32/AArch64. When using the server in Windows, everything works fine. It seems that the official github linux install page is for i386/AMD64 archs only.

So my question: Are there alternatives for a proper install in a ARM architecture?

Note: I'm using Debian Stretch in both servers.

Thank you,
Amid
Nadahar

Re: Proper installation of UMS on ARM:

Post by Nadahar »

There are nothing "prepared" for ARM, but since UMS itself is Java, the problem is only the external C/C++ programs and libraries.

The fact that tsMuxeR isn't available shouldn't be a big problem unless you need it for remuxing. If you go to the "transcoding" tab (if you have a GUI, otherwise the corresponding setting in UMS.conf) and turn off/disable any engines you don't have available, UMS shouldn't try to use them. That will obviously limit what is possible somewhat, but FFmpeg is used for most operations by default. Having a working libmediainfo is also important for proper operation.

Except for that, you'd have to post log files showing the exact problems you experience. My guess is that such weak devices can't do much transcoding anyway, so you might be limited to play media that is natively supported by your renderer. In that case, most of the other executables can be skipped.