Solved problem with Wired Connection (activation of network connection failed)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Snake19

Solved problem with Wired Connection (activation of network connection failed)

Post by Snake19 »

Hi!
Just want to share my solution with Wired Connection between my PS3 & UMS on Linux.
I installed Ubuntu on my laptop and connected it with my PS3 via cable. But it didn't work. UMS can't see renderer and Ubuntu show me pop-up message at the top of the screen: activation of network connection failed.Then i connected via Wi-Fi and it worked great. Looking whole Internet for answer, but didn't find it.
So, after hours of solving i find a decision: go to Ubuntu Settings - Network - Wired (click on it) - IPv4 - IPv4 method - Link-Local only.
Then start UMS - General configuration - Network settings - Force networking on interface - and choose your ps3 ip-adress. Restart UMS (not restart server, but quit UMS and launch it again).
That's all.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-07-20 20-10-04.png
Screenshot from 2018-07-20 20-10-04.png (41.85 KiB) Viewed 36189 times
Screenshot from 2018-07-20 20-09-38.png
Screenshot from 2018-07-20 20-09-38.png (77.42 KiB) Viewed 36189 times
Nadahar

Re: Solved problem with Wired Connection (activation of network connection failed)

Post by Nadahar »

This seems to have been a problem with your network configuration, not UMS as such. If you have plugged a cable between the PC and the PS3 directly, you'd need to configure their IP addresses manually. That's not the "normal" way to do it, normally there's a router on the network running DHCP, which assigns IP addresses automatically.

I don't know exactly what this "Link Local" option does, but it probably use some kind of auto-negotiated IP. When you have multiple network interfaces with valid IPv4 addresses, you might have to "force" the interface since UMS will simply pick the first one it finds with a valid IP.