New install of UMS 7.2.1 on Linux Mint 19 will not start

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Oubliette

New install of UMS 7.2.1 on Linux Mint 19 will not start

Post by Oubliette »

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I'm doing something fundamentally wrong (and probably dumb).

I am attempting to get a working installation of UMS 7.2.1 on Linux Mint 19 following the instructions on this link:
https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... structions

I have installed several of the suggested helper packages but specifically Java was already installed when I set up Linux Mint 19
$ java -version
openjdk version "10.0.1" 2018-04-17
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 10.0.1+10-Ubuntu-3ubuntu1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 10.0.1+10-Ubuntu-3ubuntu1, mixed mode)

UMS has been installed at /opt/ums-7.2.1

When I try to run it I get an error as follows:
/opt/ums-7.2.1$ ./UMS.sh
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/java/swing/plaf/windows/WindowsLookAndFeel
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:1009)
at java.base/java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:174)
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.defineClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:801)
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.findClassOnClassPathOrNull(BuiltinClassLoader.java:699)
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClassOrNull(BuiltinClassLoader.java:622)
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:580)
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:190)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:499)
at net.pms.PMS.main(PMS.java:1145)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.BuiltinClassLoader.loadClass(BuiltinClassLoader.java:582)
at java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:190)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:499)
... 10 more
/opt/ums-7.2.1$

Which I translate as "I need the WindowsLookAndFeel class and I can't find it on this machine".
No log is created in /var/log, in fact no subfolder it created for ums.

What I can't work out is what needs to happen to allow UMS to see this class library.

I've done a fair amount of searching, both this forum and the web in general but I can't quite put my finger on what is missing here?

Any advice or requests for further information gratefully accepted.

Paul
Nadahar

Re: New install of UMS 7.2.1 on Linux Mint 19 will not start

Post by Nadahar »

UMS doesn't work with Java 9/10. This is a long story, but to try to make it short Oracle is making Java payware from Java 11. In preparation for this, they have made two "pretend" versions of Java (which only is valid 6 months each) that mostly removes stuff. They probably plan to offer some expensive "replacement" for those things later, I really don't know what they're up to.

Either way, Java 8 is the thing to use for now. It will be maintained for a good while still, and I guess we're all hoping for someone to come in and solve the mess Oracle is creating, or to watch Java slowly die. So, uninstall Java 10 and install the latest Java 8.

The class is missing simply because Oracle has removed it without a replacement.
Oubliette

Re: New install of UMS 7.2.1 on Linux Mint 19 will not start

Post by Oubliette »

Thanks Nadahar,

I had got as far as "I wonder if the openjdk is missing swing?"

Hopefully this is an easy fix with Synaptic.

I'll let you know how I get on but not bug you with questions about installing Java!

Paul