Trying to run on Headless Machine (server)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
puntloos

Trying to run on Headless Machine (server)

Post by puntloos »

Running UMS on an actual server... The error message complains about graphics. Not available, obviously. Elp? :/

Code: Select all

/opt/local/ums-1.3.0 # ./UMS.sh
06:50:03.771 [main] DEBUG o.a.c.c.PropertiesConfiguration - FileName set to UMS.conf
06:50:03.790 [main] DEBUG o.a.c.c.PropertiesConfiguration - Base path set to /root/.config/UMS
06:50:04,338 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.DefinePropertyAction - About to instantiate property definer of type [net.pms.logging.DebugLogPathDefiner]
06:50:04,355 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.DefinePropertyAction - Popping property definer for property named [debugLogPath] from the object stack
06:50:04,356 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderAction - About to instantiate appender of type [ch.qos.logback.core.ConsoleAppender]
06:50:04,356 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderAction - Naming appender as [STDOUT]
06:50:04,521 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderAction - About to instantiate appender of type [ch.qos.logback.core.FileAppender]
06:50:04,524 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderAction - Naming appender as [debug.log]
06:50:04,535 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.FileAppender[debug.log] - File property is set to [/opt/local/ums-1.3.0/debug.log]
06:50:04,538 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderAction - About to instantiate appender of type [ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender]
06:50:04,541 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderAction - Naming appender as [debug.log.10MB]
06:50:04,578 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.FixedWindowRollingPolicy@19e15c - Will use zip compression
06:50:04,603 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender[debug.log.10MB] - Active log file name: /opt/local/ums-1.3.0/debug.log
06:50:04,603 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender[debug.log.10MB] - File property is set to [/opt/local/ums-1.3.0/debug.log]
06:50:04,603 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.RootLoggerAction - Setting level of ROOT logger to ALL
06:50:04,604 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderRefAction - Attaching appender named [STDOUT] to Logger[ROOT]
06:50:04,604 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderRefAction - Attaching appender named [debug.log] to Logger[ROOT]
06:50:04,604 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.ConfigurationAction - End of configuration.

ERROR 2012-07-10 06:50:05.057 [main] A serious error occurred during PMS init
java.awt.HeadlessException: null
        at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:159) ~[na:1.6.0_32]
        at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:431) ~[na:1.6.0_32]
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:403) ~[na:1.6.0_32]
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:368) ~[na:1.6.0_32]
        at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:158) ~[na:1.6.0_32]
        at net.pms.gui.DummyFrame.<init>(DummyFrame.java:25) ~[ums.jar:na]
        at net.pms.PMS.init(PMS.java:310) [ums.jar:na]
        at net.pms.PMS.createInstance(PMS.java:804) [ums.jar:na]
        at net.pms.PMS.main(PMS.java:877) [ums.jar:na]
timmyj

Re: Trying to run on Headless Machine (server)

Post by timmyj »

i think headless mode is broken on 1.3.0 had to downgrade to 1.2.1 to restore functionality on my headless server
nox216

Post by nox216 »

Same issue with headless being broken on 1.3.0. Downgraded to 1.2.1, issue resolved.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

I think we have narrowed down what caused this bug, it should be fixed in the next version
jmarler

Post by jmarler »

+1 for needing the fix for headless.

One other issue I recently tracked down. .mkv files wouldn't render, and when I looked in the debug.log it ended up that it couldn't find the tsMuxer binary. I symlinked to it in /usr/bin and the problem disappeared. I may have missed something in the install instructions, but I thought I would mention it.

PS -> Thanks big time for all your hard work! It felt like PMS was stalled and going nowhere. I really like the progress you are making.
puntloos

Post by puntloos »

As an aside, how does one set the config path in the startup script?
"Base path set to /root/.config/UMS" is a bit wonky."

Also, if you will excuse my laziness but a quick search did not show it up - is there any way to access a GUI-based control panel to UMS with a headless and windowless server? (I am using a NAS, so I can't just run VNC and then run UMS from within.. I really want to separate the client from the server)
splinter

Post by splinter »

puntloos wrote:As an aside, how does one set the config path in the startup script?
"Base path set to /root/.config/UMS" is a bit wonky."

Also, if you will excuse my laziness but a quick search did not show it up - is there any way to access a GUI-based control panel to UMS with a headless and windowless server? (I am using a NAS, so I can't just run VNC and then run UMS from within.. I really want to separate the client from the server)
Kind regards to all

There has been some success with the freenas end reported - I have not experianced it yet but I am considering that direction on my next major upgrade trying to work towards to ZFS as my hardware reaches the capability to make it a reality.

http://www.homemultimedianetwork.com/Gu ... reeNAS.php :?:

Again kind regards to all in the forum as I have enjoyed the fruits of this build prior to it forking out.

Splinter
martinoelge

Post by martinoelge »

hey,

what a mess to place a different software in a thread like this... anyway...

Whats about installing UMS on a headless device?

I ran PS3 on my ReadyNAS since a couple of years...
it neads an update? doesn't it?

Martin
sapsa

Post by sapsa »

Im using headless installation (UMS 3.0.0-final) on ubuntu server 13 64bits, and it works ok.
Had crashed because of low memory, but i changed it to 1024MB and will check in few days.

Im having few issues with hardcore encoded files :-) with exotic profiles etc.. but with others there is no problem on wired link

Theres no need for GUI now :-) its harder do config on start but after that gui would be useless.
server: C2D [email protected] 3GB RAM
network: wired 1000MB/s
render: LG 55LM620S, Samsung LE40C650, PS3