Linux installation guide

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
davicool

Linux installation guide

Post by davicool »

Hello,

Firstly, I apologize in advance for my imperfect English (I'm French from France ... ;-).

After much research and attempts comparisons between Linux UPnP server (ushare = installation failed, MediaTomb = unstable and errors with accented characters, minidlna = I'm not sure that it meets my needs, etc..) I am desperate.
Look, I've installed and configured in a HTPC XBMCBuntu (latest) and I am very satisfied, except one thing: the UPnP server.
Indeed, it offers no means of customization (or so I have not found how) and do not support either the dissemination of playlists or folder trees.
I am looking for a DLNA / UPnP that is complementary.

I use PS3 Media Server on Windows for a long time and I find it very good.
Then an idea came to me: Why do not I use one PSM version under Linux on my HTPC XBMCBuntu?
This is where I discovered this project UMS and I was excited about this release.

So I come to my first question:

- Is this a good idea?
- Is there an installation guide?
- What should I first install (Open-jdk or sun-java etc..)?
- The installer you are-it *. Deb?
- Do you have many successful Linux installations?
- Do you advise me to install UMS or return under PMS?

Thank you in advance for your help.
tmk

Re: Linux installation guide

Post by tmk »

Extract archive anywhere you like (if you later plan to run headless (aka as service), I suggest /usr/lib/ums (can be anywhere, but I like /usr/...) - of course you will need appropriate permission where ever you decide to extract)
Execute UMS.sh (again ensure you have permission to UMS.sh directory so debug.log can be created/updated)
configure appropriately/as desired (largely no different than PMS)

To run headless, you will need to create an init script and "install" it as a "service" according to your distro...until this site gets on it's feet, I'll have to refer you pack to the ps3ms site

Cheers
Server Platform: Linux Xubuntu 14.04 (LTS)
Renderer: Sony Bravia KDL-40W5100
mng519

Post by mng519 »

I am new to UMS, but am interested in getting it to work on Ubuntu. I downloaded and extracted the folder with no problems and even got it to show up on my PS3 with no problems. The problem I am having is I always get "This contect cannot be played" with every video file I try to play. I have no idea why it's not working. Maybe someone can shed some light on the subject for me? I would appreciate any help with this. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Maybe there can be a ppa for UMS soon. Would make install much easier.
tmk

Post by tmk »

What does debug show (always best to attach to your posts when you need help)...
Server Platform: Linux Xubuntu 14.04 (LTS)
Renderer: Sony Bravia KDL-40W5100
damp

Post by damp »

to get UMS to work properly, make sure you install Oracle Java 1.7(former sun), openjdk is not verry good for some java apps.

download and extract the ums.tgz from the main page, and put it where you want it.

install ubuntu-restricted-extras package
install mediainfo
check and make sure mencoder and ffmpeg is installed,and if using 64bit install, make sure the ia32-libs is installed or tsmuxer wont run, it's a 32bit app.