UMS on RPi

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
death by bacon

UMS on RPi

Post by death by bacon »

My PC just died on me. I'm looking for a cheap and green replacement and thought of the RPi. Has anyone tried using the RPi as UMS server? What are your experiences?

My setup would basically be:

RPi - UMS Server
- SMB Server
- Torrent box

Renderers:

- Samsung Smart TVs
- Android Devices
- Ipads

Is this possible? Will this setup work?

Thanks!

-death by bacon
infidel
Developer

Re: UMS on RPi

Post by infidel »

Rpi works great as a renderer (i.e. running xbmc as a renderer connecting to UMS on a pc) but lacks the horsepower for real-time transcoding so it's not a good candidate for hosting UMS (plus you would need ffmpeg, etc. compiled for the rpi).

PS the search box is your friend [raspberry] :).
SharkHunter
Developer

Post by SharkHunter »

Yes running UMS on a rasp would simply not work. Running any kind of Java program is a pain on the rasp. I've tried...
We reject: kings, presidents and voting.
We believe in: rough consensus and running code.
death by bacon

Post by death by bacon »

Thank you very much for the replies. So I guess Pi is out of the picture. I'm looking for something that can run UMS and a SMB server 24/7, can be headless, and uses very little electricity like the Pi.
Wolfgan

Post by Wolfgan »

death by bacon wrote:Thank you very much for the replies. So I guess Pi is out of the picture. I'm looking for something that can run UMS and a SMB server 24/7, can be headless, and uses very little electricity like the Pi.
Did you checked miniDLNA? http://bbrks.me/rpi-minidlna-media-server/
-- UMS serving PS3, WDTV, Samsung H6400 + J5500 and Kalemsoft renderers! (no video transcoding but remuxing accepted :D )
DeFlanko

Post by DeFlanko »

if you ever have to transcode anything.. thats where Cheap fails at being a UMS Server.