Total noob needs help installing on ubuntu

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
supamanc

Total noob needs help installing on ubuntu

Post by supamanc »

Please please I am at my wits end here. I have ubuntu installed on a headless server, and, having looked at all of the options available, UMS looks like the best server for my needs, but I have been trying for days, using the advice and guides on this forum, as well as others, and I cannot get it working. Can somebody in the know please release an up-to-date step by step tutorial for the total novice so that I can get this working? I am getting really frustrated here but do not want to give up, but I don't even know where I am going wrong, what is not working or what to do about it! I realise that it is a big ask, but I am at my wits end here!
Agent_Rocket

Re: Total noob needs help installing on ubuntu

Post by Agent_Rocket »

Here's the short version of how i did it:

get java from here http://www.webupd8.org/2012/01/install- ... u-via.html

install other depencencies

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mediainfo dcraw vlc-nox mplayer mencoder
(not sure if all of those are needed)

follow the rest of this guide: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1519
beginning from step 4. of course the version numbers need to be different.
also, if you are lazy like me and want to create the init.d script by copy paste in windows and then put it on the server, make sure to use the right linebreak encoding (use notepad++ or similar)

go through the example UMS.conf and copy all entries you don't like the default value to your own config located in /etc/UMS.sh
most important entries are cred.path, server_name and folders. the entry UUID in the guide is added automatically.

hope this helps you get on the right track. if you have any more questions, feel free to ask
supamanc

Post by supamanc »

Thanks for the reply. I followed this guide already, but tried again with the java/dependencies that you recomended.

at step 9:
9. Time to add it to init.d "update-rc.d UMS.sh defaults"

I get the following error:

update-rc.d UMS.sh defaults
update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/UMS.sh missing LSB information
update-rc.d: see <http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts>
 System start/stop links for /etc/init.d/UMS.sh already exist.
(the links already existing I understand, as I have done this before, the missing LSB info though.

changing the permissions and running service UMS.sh start gives me

:~$ service UMS.sh start
/etc/init.d/UMS.sh: 39: /etc/init.d/UMS.sh: [[: not found
/etc/init.d/UMS.sh: 44: /etc/init.d/UMS.sh: [[: not found
Which is the same as the last few times/tutorials I have worked through - any advise?

Again, thanks very much for your help!
Agent_Rocket

Post by Agent_Rocket »

i'm pretty much just guessing at this point as i am a beginner with linux as well.

first of all, i found this regarding the "[[: not found" message: http://superuser.com/questions/374406/w ... g-a-script
and the link from the missing LSB warning tells me, that it means the comments at the beginning of the script.

so i can only assume, that something isn't quite right with the script, specifically at the beginning. how did you create it?
supamanc

Post by supamanc »

copy and paste straight from the forum post into putty!

I also read the link in the error message, but it doesn't say what specifically the trouble is!
Agent_Rocket

Post by Agent_Rocket »

in the link the problem was that he was using /bin/sh to run his script but [[ is only supported by /bin/bash but this can't be it in this case, because the script for UMS is correctly using /bin/bash (defined in the first line of the script)

i have added the script as an attachment (you have to rename it from .txt to .sh) with correct line breaking (LF) and ANSI encoding, so it should work. or you could upload your script so i can take a look and see if i find an error.
Attachments
UMS.txt
UMS init.d script
(4.33 KiB) Downloaded 951 times
supamanc

Post by supamanc »

Sorry, I meant the link pertaining to the LSB error - I also read the link which you provided, and confirmed my script is a bash file. Thanks for the upload, I will try your script as soon as I get the opertunity and let you know how it goes!
Agent_Rocket

Post by Agent_Rocket »

in theory my script should be the same as yours.
with the current information my best guess is, that during the copy-paste some characters got encoded the wrong way and that's what's causing the problems.

if it's not, i'm out of ideas and you have to hope for someone else to help you.
supamanc

Post by supamanc »

Your script worked for me! fantastic, thanks a lot for your help mate!
Agent_Rocket

Post by Agent_Rocket »

Sure thing. Biggest problems for me were:
- figuring out which java to use. guide says Oracle, official readme says OpenJDK, but when i saw the version number on OpenJDK i decided to go for the original from Oracle, but i found the installer from webupd8 a lot easier to use and the fact that it checks and downloads newest version directly from Oracle enforced my decision.
- figuring out which dependencies i need. according to official readme only Java and mediainfo are required, dcraw and vlc are optional. mplayer and mencoder are only mentioned in the guide and ffmpeg which is also mentioned in the guide isn't available in the ubuntu repositories any more, but included in UMS out of the box. so in the end i decided to get everything that might be needed and was available.
- finding a good place to install to. some guides say you should put stuff like this in /opt, others say /usr. i went for /usr/ums, as the guide suggested.
- figuring out that when i make the init.d script in windows the different linebreaks cause it to not run (how i cursed over this one until it hit me :D ).