first time using Ubuntu desktop

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Stephen1602

first time using Ubuntu desktop

Post by Stephen1602 »

This my first time using Ubuntu Desktop and I am having problems with the installation, I have the UMS files down loaded and I have looked at the install text file but it seems to have been written for someone with knowledge on Ubuntu any suggestion would be great
Agent_Rocket

Re: first time using Ubuntu desktop

Post by Agent_Rocket »

first and probably most difficult thing is to get all the right dependencies.the install.txt only mentions mediainfo and open-jdk, but other tutorials suggest to install oracles java instead and also dcraw, vlc, mplayer and mencoder. since you're a beginner i'd go for open-jdk. you should be able to find all of those in the app-store-thingy ubuntu has. if you do want to use command line, you can go for oracle java. use the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo su
add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
apt-get update
apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
apt-get install oracle-java7-set-default
apt-get install mediainfo dcraw vlc-nox mplayer mencoder
after that it's straight forward (if you don't want UMS in autostart):

extract the archive to any location you see fit (most people go for /usr/ums) and run the UMS.sh script to start it.
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

Agent_Rocket wrote:most people go for /usr/ums
Agree entirely with your recommendations except for this bit :). It's much simpler to avoid root installations and extract+run anywhere inside the user's own space, e.g. $HOME/ums.
Stephen1602

Post by Stephen1602 »

Thanks for the reply guys, but I must be doing something else wrong. I used the script to install dependencies and extracted the files to home/ums. but the UMS.sh scripts wont launch it opens in gedit.
infidel
Developer

Post by infidel »

Stephen1602 wrote:UMS.sh scripts wont launch it opens in gedit
Open a terminal and
  • cd (change directory) to your ums folder (using its actual path), e.g.

cd ~/ums
  • run the script:

./UMS.sh
  • if you get a permission denied message, first grant the script 'exec' privilege

chmod +x UMS.sh
    and try again.
Agent_Rocket

Post by Agent_Rocket »

it could also be a simple matter of what the default action is for that file type. try right clicking the script and click something that says "execute" rather than "open".
Stephen1602

Post by Stephen1602 »

thanks to everyone that's posted I really do appreciate the help. but I still seem to be having problem (which could be entirly user related) but I had a thought is UMS 5.0.1 64bit or 32? I am running a 32bit install because there isn't 64bit Intel support Ubuntu.
Agent_Rocket

Post by Agent_Rocket »

it's a java program, that means whether it's 32 or 64 bit depends on the java version on your computer.