Fedora 20: hange location of UMS.conf and UMS.cred?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
sally

Fedora 20: hange location of UMS.conf and UMS.cred?

Post by sally »

Hi,

This may be a noob issue and if so, I'd appreciate some pointers. My UMS installation stopped working after a fedora update. I'd been running UMS 3.5.0 at the time, but have now tried both 5.0.1 and 5.1.0 and am experiencing the same issue.

I've found that if I run UMS with the bog-standard configuration, it starts up and creates and uses a configuration directory at /root/.config/UMS/

My previous installations have launched UMS at boot, as a daemon, and my configuration files are in /etc/UMS.conf and /etc/UMS.cred. Previously, I told UMS to use a different config directory location by adding "UMS_PROFILE=/etc/UMS.conf" before the command on the last line of UMS.sh in its installation directory. But now, if I do this, it fails with a Null Pointer exception.

What has changed? What am I doing wrong?

THanks
Vallimar

Re: Fedora 20: hange location of UMS.conf and UMS.cred?

Post by Vallimar »

I can't speak to what changed or why it's not working since afaik it should be still.
Here is an alternative you can try: instead of the environment variable UMS_PROFILE
try setting "ums.profile.path=/etc" on the actual java command line.

I would recommend that you create a ums subdirectory of etc though and move your
config files there, then change the profile path to /etc/ums rather than /etc.

You should comment out the UMS_PROFILE line if trying as well in case that isn't clear.
sally

Re: Fedora 20: hange location of UMS.conf and UMS.cred?

Post by sally »

Thanks for the tip.

I finally got it working again by following the instructions at this page (which also work fine with Fedora)
http://mikeshoup.com/2014/11/30/univers ... -centos-7/

I expect this would be a good place for others to start if they're wanting to install UMS on fedora too.