How to improve performace of UMS

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
soloist_huaxin

How to improve performace of UMS

Post by soloist_huaxin »

Hi,
I'm running UMS on a headless machine with i3-4130, 8GB DDR3 ECC RAM, with ubuntu server 14.04.2 LTS. I'm streaming a 1080p H.264 encoded video with max bitrate of 15.5Mbps and avg bitrate of 2.6Mbps to my xbox one. The video file is stored on a somewhat old hard drive I took out of an seagate external drive(somewhat low RPM, SATA 3.0Gbps standard), and the OS is on a SSD. The UMS machine is connected via gigabit ethernet to my router(actiontex mi424wr rev I), then gigabit ethernet to xbox one.

When streaming using Xbox media player on xbox one, I'm experiencing a stutter every few seconds, and I'm not sure where to start looking for improvements/fixes. I'm guessing here, but I think possible bottleneck points are: the hard drive is slow, the CPU is not quite powerful doing transcoding, the transcoder used is not optimized for processor, I didn't set up my router correctly. Can someone suggest where I should look to improve performance? Thanks.