Certain MKV Files out of sync

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
lemtargatwing

Certain MKV Files out of sync

Post by lemtargatwing »

I have done a few searches around here, and have noticed others have been having problems with A/V sync issues on MKV files, specifically anime. However, most users are having these issues on Windows machines, and the usual answer is to use AviSynth. I am running UMS 2.1.2 on CENTOS6. I hadn't had a problem with the files until recently, when I hit season 7 of Naruto, about midway. The audio lags about two to three seconds behind the video, starting about midway through the theme song. I'm not very familiar with a/v transcoding settings, so please be warned that is my weakness. I have posted a debug log as it seems most people do.
Attachments
debug.log
(57.68 KiB) Downloaded 522 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: Certain MKV Files out of sync

Post by SubJunk »

I can't find the file to download and test. Do you have a link to it?
lemtargatwing

Post by lemtargatwing »

Link removed
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

OK I downloaded the file and the encoder has just encoded it badly like I suspected. There are two framerates listed in the file; the one that the video stream reports (which is incorrect) then the one the container reports (which is correct). UMS is reading the framerate reported by the video stream which is causing the sync problem, but UMS isn't wrong to use that framerate because it is often the right choice with other files. I suggest getting another release of the file (like HorribleSubs or another more popular group)
lemtargatwing

Post by lemtargatwing »

Thank you.I appreciate you taking the time to look at this for me.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Actually I think I can make you a version of UMS that plays the file pretty easily, I'll post it within an hour
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Well I couldn't make it play with MEncoder but I discovered that it plays perfectly with FFmpeg already, if you want the English audio (FFmpeg doesn't support subtitles)
lemtargatwing

Post by lemtargatwing »

That's fine, I don't mind the English audio. My wife doesn't like reading the subtitles anyways. I'm just glad to get it playing finally!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Same thing with my wife, glad to help! :) Our long-term goal is to make FFmpeg the default player for unsubtitled files since it is much more reliable with audio sync
lemtargatwing

Post by lemtargatwing »

Hmm... Well I went to go play it but unfortunately it is just as bad as before. Am I doing something wrong? I went into the transcode folder and selected the ffmpeg option.

**edit I restarted the video and didn't skip the theme this time, now it works fine. I guess I just shouldn't skip any!