Update UMS linux version

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
F1Fish

Update UMS linux version

Post by F1Fish »

Is there a easy way update UMS in Debian/ubuntu?
Or is it easier to do a rebuild?
SydFloyd

Re: Update UMS linux version

Post by SydFloyd »

Ha, that's funny, I was just asking myself that same question at this moment. Can't find any answers yet. Every time I update I just end up rebuilding it and it can be a bit of a pain.
Tonne M

Post by Tonne M »

In my case I have a desktop icon (shortcut) for UMS. This links to ~home/Downloads/ums-x.x.x/UMS.sh . Whenever there is a new version I unpack it to "Downloads" and simply rightclick on the sortcut, choose properties and change the versionnumber in the path. Done!

By the way, Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

We don't really use the linux package ourselves, so it's unlikely that we'll se disadvantages with it. If you have suggestions for a smarter way to pack it, we could consider it.
Tonne M

Post by Tonne M »

What you guys could do is to build a .deb package. Would be easier for people running Debian based distributions like Mint and Ubuntu and the like.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Tonne M wrote:What you guys could do is to build a .deb package. Would be easier for people running Debian based distributions like Mint and Ubuntu and the like.
The job of building packages for the different distros is available for anyone that's up to the job and feel like it. I'm sure we'd gladly offer it as a download if someone built it on a regular basis.
Tonne M

Post by Tonne M »

Unfortunately I have no clue how to build a .deb package. Maybe someone is more knowledgeable and has some time on his/her hands.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Tonne M wrote:Unfortunately I have no clue how to build a .deb package. Maybe someone is more knowledgeable and has some time on his/her hands.
For most except those that already maintain .deb packages I guess that is the situation. But, I don't doubt that anyone willing to do some reading about the issue would be able to figure it out.
newbietux

Post by newbietux »

The problem with changing the version-number you can solve with a symbolic link named "UMS" (or so). The link must show to the actual ums program folder. For the autostart entry you use the path with the "UMS" link.
After the next update you renew only the link to the new folder - and it works.

I go this way for the last year and I'm happy with it.