New install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS headless server

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Hollywoodpete

New install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS headless server

Post by Hollywoodpete »

http://pastebin.com/T8JJRSmj

I'm new to UMS so be easy. I installed UMS on my headless server and am able to access it with "IPaddress:9001 but unable to access the configuration page at IPaddress:5001. It gives me a blank page.

I hope pastebin is OK for error logs
Nadahar

Re: New install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS headless server

Post by Nadahar »

There is no configuration page at :5001. In headless mode you have to configure the configuration file manually. It's default location is ~/.config/UMS/UMS.conf. The default can be copied/pasted from here or found in the extracted files somewhere.
Hollywoodpete

Post by Hollywoodpete »

Thanks for the quick reply. I installed UMS based on the instructions here: http://www.slsmk.com/how-to-install-uni ... less-mode/

The configuration files are here: /etc/UMS.conf

~/.config/UMS/UMS.conf is empty. I think I have a lot of permission errors from the original install.

Hopefully I haven't hosed the installation. If there are better instructions, I am willing to try them
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't know anything about configuring it as a daemon on Linux (that is what the instructions you liked to basicly do). Linux is a nightmare since nothing is standardized so we do it like most software "the Linux way" which means to let the users figure out how to set it up in their environment.

Getting UMS running should be as simple as running UMS.sh in the extracted folder though, but to get things working properly you need to install some extra packages and populate your profile folder with the configuration files. I saw from the instructions used that the configuration files were put in /etc, I'm not sure that's a good idea to be honest, but since bash is greek to me I can't really figure out what's done. The user running UMS needs to have read permissions to every UMS file and write permission to the profile folder. The UMS profile folder is used for much more than just the configuration files, files are created there as needed and using /etc for this sounds like a complete mess to me. The path to the profile folder can be specified as a command line argument when launching UMS with "profile=<pathtofolder>". UMS will expect that folder to be writable and to find UMS.conf and WEB.conf there.

Someone that understand bash will have to help figure out how to correct this using the bash script. If no profile folder is specified as an argument, UMS will use ~/.config/UMS as the profile folder.
Hollywoodpete

Post by Hollywoodpete »

Thanks for the input. I ended up scrapping the headless idea and installed the standard version in my home folder. It opened fine and runs for several hours before crashing.I will keep trying. I think I just have a lot of files to scan
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You can easily start the "normal" version in headless mode by using the argument "console" or ("headless" I think) when calling UMS.sh. It will still use the same configuration when running headless, so this allows you to configure it in GUI mode and then run it headless when everthing is configured and working well.

When it comes to scanning large libraries, that's not really UMS' strong side. If you browse by folder from your renderer (not using the "Media Library"), UMS will scan on-the-fly the first time you browse a given folder. Unfortunately that doesn't allow grouping or sorting like the media library does, but that's what's been seen as the preferred way.