Which UMS.conf does UMS actually read?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
PhilBeyondDriven

Which UMS.conf does UMS actually read?

Post by PhilBeyondDriven »

I've got UMS installed, but regardless of which UMS.conf file I populate with my information, it seems a phantom version of it is what the system calls.

I'm trying to get my IP filter whitelist configured, but editing the UMS.conf entries from the following locations does nothing:
- home/user/.config/UMS/UMS.conf
- usr/local/ums-6.2.0/UMS.conf
- /etc/UMS.conf

I can have my WDTV and PS3's IP addresses in the whitelist, and only those IPs, and other clients (my laptop, g/f's laptop) still auto-connect because the system says no IP filter is configured. The way I've got the IP addresses listed:

# Use an IP filter (whitelist)
# ----------------------------
# Set the IP address(es) and/or IP address range(s) of the clients permitted
# to connect. When no filter is specified, UMS will allow any IP address to
# connect to the service.
# Multiple IP addresses and/or IP address ranges can be separated with a comma
# or semicolon e.g.: 127.0.0.1,192.168.0-1.*
# Default: ""
ip_filter =192.168.1.106,191.168.1.1.107

What am I doing wrong here?
valib
Developer

Re: Which UMS.conf does UMS actually read?

Post by valib »

I don't know what is the propper location of the UMS.conf on linux or OSx but you can change the UMS.conf directly from the UMS at the General Configuration table pushing the button "Edit UMS configuration manually".
newbietux

Re: Which UMS.conf does UMS actually read?

Post by newbietux »

As I began to use universalmediaserver with linux (opensuse 13.0 to 13.2 in this time) and more than one user I would that UMS use the central stored /etc/UMS.conf file and the program and other files are stored below from /opt. There I have a symbolic link "UMS" to the actual ums folder.
From this time to today I changed a new UMS.sh and add only this 2 lines after the line 4 - and it works:

UMS_PROFILE="/etc/UMS/UMS.conf"
export UMS_PROFILE

With every new release I move the changed folder (as ex. "channels", "database" and so on) to the now actual programfolder and renew the link.

The start I've configured with the autostart function of the kde-desktop.

I hope that can help.