ffmpeg does not support all file types

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
elsabio

ffmpeg does not support all file types

Post by elsabio »

Well the great news is that the statically linked ffmpeg (version N-51556-ge278500) included with UMS 2.6.1 will allow all my video media types (mkv, mpg, mv4 mostly) to be rendered correctly via a PS3.
The bad news is that it cannot render FLAC audio to my main music system (which is actually a Naim Uniti, but the HTTP headers are indistinguishable from the Phillips Streamium).
I have looked at the logs - even at Trace level, the output seems only to indicate a start and soon afterwards a stop event for each FLAC file.
I will gather the debug pack corresponding to this if anyone would like it attached to this thread.

However ... if I use the ffmpeg which is installed from the distro repositories on this Linux server (version 0.6.3-rpmfusion), I can play FLAC files just fine (and ogg, mp3, etc.) but cannot play m4v Video on a PS3.

So two questions ...

1. Can UMS be configured to use a different ffmpeg executable by file type? Or just by audio/video content perhaps?
2. If not - what needs to happen to get FLAC supported fully with the bundled ffmpeg binary?

I have tried building this from scratch, but this is such an old distro (based on Fedora 14), there are a lot of dependency hurdles to overcome - but if I can get the pieces to go with the ffmpeg build in 2.6.1, I'll try again. Otherwise, I might just write a trivial wrapper around my two ffmpegs, but that is really cheating!

Update:

Now I look at the trace while rendering video, it looks like ffmpeg is not being used for flac files at all. I thought this was being used to generate the stream data, but it appears not, so now I'm confused!

Update 2

So I'm probably wrong here. Looking at the HTTP headers sent, I see that a UPNP server that works in sending FLAC to the Uniti has headers like this:

Code: Select all

HTTP/1.1 206 Partial Content
Server: Logitech Media Server (7.7.2 - 33893)
Connection: close
Content-Length: 20214587
Content-Range: bytes 0-20214586/20214587
Content-Type: audio/x-flac
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="03-Goehr-Suite_for_Violin_and_Piano_1_Prelude.flac"
TransferMode.Dlna.Org: Streaming
whereas UPNP (which does not) is sending this:

Code: Select all

HTTP/1.1 206 Partial Content
TransferMode.DLNA.ORG: Streaming
Content-Type: audio/mpeg
Content-Range: bytes 0-4360395/4360396
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Connection: keep-alive
Server: Linux-i386-2.6.35.14-106.fc14.i686, UPnP/1.0, UMS/2.6.1
Content-Length: 4360396
So does this Content-Type mean that some sort of transcoding has been done? If so, why is there nothing in the logs?

Mark.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
Trace attachment
(17.52 KiB) Downloaded 426 times