UMS Unable To Start

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
beaksdale

UMS Unable To Start

Post by beaksdale »

Hi,
I am setting up Universal Media Server (6.4.0. Java 8) on a Raspberry Pi 2 (running Raspbian Jessie Headless) and have managed to get it installed and configured but I am unable to getting it to run. I couldn't reproduce the requested information but I checked the log and it produces this when I try and run the service (haven't included the conf file as I barely changed anything from the default file provided):

Code: Select all

DEBUG 2016-07-13 21:08:31.697 [main] Base path set to file:///etc/UMS.conf
DEBUG 2016-07-13 21:08:32.405 [main] FileName set to UMS.conf
DEBUG 2016-07-13 21:08:32.406 [main] Base path set to /etc
INFO  2016-07-13 21:08:32.549 [main] Language not specified, defaulting to OS language.
DEBUG 2016-07-13 21:08:33.040 [main] Default logfile folder set to: /var/log/UMS/root
DEBUG 2016-07-13 21:08:35.365 [main] LogBack started with configuration file: /opt/ums-6.4.0/logback.headless.xml
DEBUG 2016-07-13 21:08:35.615 [main] Wed Jul 13 21:08:35 BST 2016
DEBUG 2016-07-13 21:08:36.017 [main] PID file not found, cannot check for running process
ERROR 2016-07-13 21:08:36.020 [main] Failed to write PID file: /etc/data/pms.pid (No such file or directory)
ERROR 2016-07-13 21:08:36.393 [main] A serious error occurred during Universal Media Server initialization: null
I'm still getting to grips with linux/debian so not sure if the issue is to do with my system configuration, also wondered if it might be a rights issue though UMS is running with admin rights I think.
Thanks
F1Fish

Re: UMS Unable To Start

Post by F1Fish »

Check your init.d file. Make it is pointing to the correct location.

/etc/init.d/ums

UMS_PROFILE=/etc/ums/UMS.conf
boss

Post by boss »

I agree with F1Fish.
If you can attach your files:
/etc/init.d/ums
UMS.conf

I think your problem will be seen.
It looks like your paths may differ between your startup script (/etc/init.d/ums) and your conf file (UMS.conf)
beaksdale

Post by beaksdale »

Thanks for the replies, I've attached my configure files as request (had to rename the start-up script to attach it) though I checked and it is pointing towards where I stored the conf file.

UMS_PROFILE=/etc/UMS.conf
Attachments
init.d ums.conf
(4.33 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
UMS.conf
(48.32 KiB) Downloaded 541 times
boss

Post by boss »

I had a look at your UMS.conf file and that seems OK.
I the uploaded zip file is my ums init script file. It is the same one that you are using but I made a couple of changes. I can't remember why I made the changes but perhaps it was because of the same problem you are having.

You don't need to make any changes to the init ums file as I have changed the paths to suit your setup.

Basically the only difference between mine and yours is that I have my conf files at /username/.config/UMS/
EG: If you were running ums as root, then the conf files path would be: /root/.config/UMS/

If it doesn't work for you with the file I have uploaded perhaps try changing the path as above because if memory serves me correct, that is the default for ums.
If you wanted to try that, you just need to edit the ums init file and change UMS_PROFILE=/etc/UMS.conf to UMS_PROFILE=/root/.config/UMS/
(root if you are running ums as root)

Then copy "UMS.conf", "WEB.conf" & "UMS.cred" to that location.
The files should have the ownership of root.root and -rw-r--r--

Cheers
Attachments
ums.zip
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
beaksdale

Post by beaksdale »

Ok I tried your ums file with the changes you made (thanks) but no success so I altered it as you suggested and copied the 3 config files to the home directory of root with the given ownership and file permissions but still no luck with the same problem. I noticed when I checked the debug log again that it uses the root UMS.conf file but still uses the /etc/UMS.cred right before it runs into an error (also wasn't sure if I should have done or added anything to the UMS.cred file as it's just in it's default form at the minute).
I'm starting to wonder if I didn't make an mistake when I was installing so is there a official guide or a wiki I can follow?
debug.log
(987 Bytes) Downloaded 531 times
boss

Post by boss »

For me the pid file is written to /etc/data
Can you check if you have that directory.
The ownership of that directory should be root.root and have permissions of drwxr-xr-x

If that is all OK, we can start from the beginning and install again.
beaksdale

Post by beaksdale »

I didn't have the folder so I created it but no luck, then in the log it stated it was looking in /root/.config/UMS/ so I made the folder there but still doesn't start. From the log it seems like the PID issue is solved but now it just throws a serious error.
debug.log
(829 Bytes) Downloaded 534 times
boss

Post by boss »

I am assuming that you are running UMS as root and not as a user. If you are not running it as root, then let us know.

From your debug log I can see you have it installed in: /opt/
You could try running UMS by not starting it up from the init script. Run this from the command line and see if UMS starts.
service /opt/ums/UMS.sh start
(to stop CTRL-C)

If that starts, there is another ums files for the /etc/init.d/ directory you could try. I have attached it. Just change the "UMS_PROFILE" location in the script to where to want your conf files to go.

If it doesn't work, it might be easier to install it again in case something isn't right.
Install like this:
1. Download the latest version of UMS from:
http://www.fosshub.com/Universal-Media- ... -Java7.tgz
2. Move the file to the /opt/ directory
3. Run this command from inside the /opt/ directory: tar -xvzf UMS-6.4.0-Java7.tgz
4. You probably have a symbolic so run: rm ums/ -r
5. Create a new symbolic link: ln -s /opt/ums-6.4.0 ums
That should be installed now with all the correct ownership and file permissions.
At this point, try again running: service /opt/ums/UMS.sh start
If it starts OK then you can try starting it from the init scripts.

If you are still getting the same PID error as before, can you post the ownership and file permissions of:
/etc
/etc/data
Attachments
ums.zip
(502 Bytes) Downloaded 484 times
beaksdale

Post by beaksdale »

I couldn't get it to run by itself so I removed the existing files and started again as per your instructions but still wouldn't run (same issue):

Failed to start opt-ums-UMS.service.mount: Unit opt-ums-UMS.service.mount failed to load: No such file or directory.
Here are my permissions for /etc and /etc/data

drwxr-xr-x 100 root root  4096 Jul 19 16:12 etc
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Jul 18 12:28 data