Linux install instructions

For help and support with Linux-specific issues
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
atamariya

Re: Linux install instructions

Post by atamariya » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:45 pm

If you are adding subtitles as separate stream, no transcoding is required. However, when burning subtitles into the frame, re-encoding is required.

Nadahar
Developer

Post by Nadahar » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:21 pm

Obviously yes, but I'm not talking about subtitles. If you have a MP4 or MKV or whatever source were the streams (the audio and video stream) are compatible with the renderer but not the container (MP4, MKV etc.), you can remux the streams into a TS container on the fly. That means no actual reencoding.

atamariya

Post by atamariya » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:31 pm

Remuxing is a stream copy operation in FFmpeg - equally efficient.

Nadahar
Developer

Post by Nadahar » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:42 am

Ok, I didn't know ffmpeg did that and I don't know how or when it does it. If ffmpeg can be made to do it in all the same circumstances that tsmuxer does, the quality loss issue should be gone. Muxing in subtitles is still an important part imo, as support for "external" subtitles (separate stream) seems to be quite limited on the renderer side. Burn-in obviously requires full reencoding, and it removes the possibility for turning subtitles on or off or changing language from the renderer.