Linux install instructions

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
atamariya

Re: Linux install instructions

Post by atamariya »

If you are adding subtitles as separate stream, no transcoding is required. However, when burning subtitles into the frame, re-encoding is required.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Obviously yes, but I'm not talking about subtitles. If you have a MP4 or MKV or whatever source were the streams (the audio and video stream) are compatible with the renderer but not the container (MP4, MKV etc.), you can remux the streams into a TS container on the fly. That means no actual reencoding.
atamariya

Post by atamariya »

Remuxing is a stream copy operation in FFmpeg - equally efficient.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Ok, I didn't know ffmpeg did that and I don't know how or when it does it. If ffmpeg can be made to do it in all the same circumstances that tsmuxer does, the quality loss issue should be gone. Muxing in subtitles is still an important part imo, as support for "external" subtitles (separate stream) seems to be quite limited on the renderer side. Burn-in obviously requires full reencoding, and it removes the possibility for turning subtitles on or off or changing language from the renderer.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

We have recently released a change that makes FFmpeg remux more often, so tsMuxeR is needed even less than it already was
thedude

Post by thedude »

The initial post said "tsmuxer ist 32 bit only". Well, its not obviously, if you compile it on 64 bit it is 64 bit, like I did on my Ubuntu 20.10. But the binary which is packaged still in 10.x is 32 bit only, which is IMHO outdated. So either drop tsmuxer completely or add a 64 bit binary to the package. Ubuntu >=20 will not allow you to install i386 libraries, therefore the mentioned workaround with the 32 bit libraries does not work any more.

Cheers
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hi thedude, thanks for letting us know that. Maybe you can help us by providing us with a static 64-bit build of tsMuxeR we can include?
thedude

Post by thedude »

Hi,

I attached my latest build, pls. check it out, any feedback/bugfixing welcome.

root@linux-flo:/home/flo/tsMuxer-master/bin# ./tsMuxeR -v
tsMuxeR version 2.6.16-dev. github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer

Cheers
tsMuxeR.zip
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 369 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thank you, we will hopefully include a 64-bit build in the next version of UMS. I have also updated it for macOS at the same time