Linux system becomes virtually unusable

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
robertnealdavis

Linux system becomes virtually unusable

Post by robertnealdavis »

I can't find anyone else who is having this issue, after UMS has been running for about a day, sometimes with a lot of use and sometimes with very little, my machine becomes virtually unusable, unable to launch any child processes. If I remember to run top when I restart, I can quite and kill the process, recovering the system, but otherwise nothing works. In top, the UMS java process lists the virtual memory usage at over 67 GB, but I think this is just a symptom of the problem. I have set the MALLOC_MAX_ARENA to 4, but that made no difference. It is as if the UMS process is somehow using all the available kernel threads or address space (a 64 bit OS should be able to address far more than 67 GB, so this also seems unlikely). Has anyone experienced this issue? This has been happening since the machine was running UMS 3.5 on Ubuntu 14.04, I am now running 6.5 on Ubuntu 16.04.
atamariya

Re: Linux system becomes virtually unusable

Post by atamariya »

I'm working on some performance fixes and features. Would you mind giving my changes to UMS a try. More details: http://lifeofpenguin.blogspot.com/2016/ ... -upnp.html