Recommended settings?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
excaliburr

Recommended settings?

Post by excaliburr »

Hi

I am running Ums on Debian testing x64with oracle java x64.

I can watch my videos but the problem is that I am unable to forward or backward my videos. I would like to be able to get video scrubbing work properly. So I am wondering what settings I should use to be able to properly. I have ffmpeg->mencoder->vlc priority now. Transcoding quality for bvoth mpeg and h264 is set to wireless.

These are the things I want to get properly from UMS.

- Scrub / forward/backward

- Resume (my videos always start from the beginning)

- Blotch free playing (those colored squares I get with somewhat actiony frames)

I use Mx player and Vlc on Android. I am mostly concerned about mobile playing

6:23:22 INFO Starting Universal Media Server 6.5.0
16:23:22 INFO Based on PS3 Media Server by shagrath, copyright 2008-2014
16:23:22 INFO http://www.universalmediaserver.com
16:23:22 INFO
16:23:22 INFO Build: 299e58c88 (2016-08-01)
16:23:22 INFO Java: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 1.8.0_102 64-bit by Oracle Corporation
16:23:22 INFO OS: Linux 64-bit 4.3.0-1-amd64
16:23:22 INFO Encoding: UTF-8
16:23:22 INFO Memory: 889 MB
16:23:22 INFO Language: English (United States)

6:23:22 DEBUG Database version: 7
16:23:22 DEBUG Starting check of database tables
16:23:23 DEBUG Reading run_wizard: false (default: true)
16:23:23 DEBUG Reading hide_advanced_options: false (default: true)
16:23:23 DEBUG Reading maximum_video_buffer_size: 300 (default: 200)
16:23:24 DEBUG Reading server_name: "UMS_LYD" (default: "Universal Media Server")
16:23:24 DEBUG Reading renderer_default: "Android" (default: "")
16:23:24 DEBUG Reading maximum_bitrate: "0" (default: "90")
16:23:24 DEBUG Reading external_network: false (default: true)
16:23:24 DEBUG Reading audio_thumbnails_method: 0 (default: 1)
16:23:24 DEBUG Reading hide_transcode_folder: true (default: false)
16:23:24 DEBUG Reading hide_extensions: false (default: true)
16:23:24 DEBUG Reading hide_empty_folders: true (default: false)
16:23:24 DEBUG Reading sort_method: 1 (default: 4)
Nadahar

Re: Recommended settings?

Post by Nadahar »

Seeking often doesn't work while transcoding (I'm not 100% sure why because I've seen it working under some circumstances). There's a renderer configuration file that controls what should be transcoded and not, and what you want to do is to get as much as possible to stream directly without transcoding. MX player can take many formats, so you shouldn't have to transcode for any of those. UMS doesn't have a proper renderer configuration for BubbleUPnP/MX Player, but one has been made and can be found https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... layer.conf. Just create a text file with the same name, paste the content from the link and put it in the "renderers" folder. You might have to disable the renderer profile for Chromecast to get the new profile to be used.

When it comes to resume there is such functionality and it should be enabled by default. The setting to look for is "resume = true/false" in UMS.conf.

When it comes to the artifacts I have no idea, it could be so many things. I'd try to get rid of the unneccesary transcoding first and the see what the result is. Could it be that your CPU isn't up to the task when transcoding "heavy scenes", or could your network bandwidth be a limitation?
excaliburr

Post by excaliburr »

Nadahar

Thank you so much for alot of good info which did not know before. I will try these.

How about Vlc? Is there a good conf for the vlc?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

No, and VLC's DLNA implementation isn't the best either. I think BubblePnP + MX Player is a good choice for Android, and with the configuration I linked to it should work as well.
excaliburr

Post by excaliburr »

Nadahar

Thanks for the reply.

To understand it better, what ahppens if I use Bubble+Vlc(as player)? Does Bubble pass down the settings to Vlc? How would that work?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

As long as you use BubbleUPnP that is communicating with UMS - the player is just playing the media files delivered from BubbleUPnP. In that setup you wouldn't use VLC's own DLNA implementation. I don't know how well that would work, I haven't tested it, I just know that "the usual" setup is Bubble + MX.
excaliburr

Post by excaliburr »

Nadahar

Thank you for all the replies. You were very helpful.
excaliburr

Post by excaliburr »

I have just started testing and I still see that the renderer is chosen as "Android" for my device instead of BubbleUpnp. I removed the chromecast one from thew renderer folder.

Ok I removed the Google Android one now it recognizes Bubble however all other devices shows as Unknown ;(

Another issue I am having with the new config is that the audio is not synced in Mx and I do not know how to fix it. I never had this issue with the default renderers. Any recommendations?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

What other devices? I have too little information here, I don't even know if you use the GUI or run headless. You don't have to remove renderer profiles to disable them, you can do that in the GUI or in UMS.conf.

To get a better picture of what is happening I need you to submit debug files. Follow the description in red on the top of the page. If you're running headless you can't enable trace mode from the GUI, so you need to add "trace" after "UMS.sh" on the command line: "./UMS.sh trace".
excaliburr

Post by excaliburr »

I am using the Gui version.

I have multiple Android devices on the network. They showed up as unknown devices. I did not check to see what upnp player was on them at that time. They oehter have vlc or combination of bubble and vnc installed on them.

I guess the biggest issue I am having is that (llike you mentioned), transcoding. I seem to still get videos transcoded (I can tell from the streams file name in the player like transcoded) when using Bubble. And when that happens netoehr vlc nor mx (started from Bubble) can forward seek stream.

On the other hand Vlc is running bettert than Bubble Mx combo.

I am really not skilled enough to understand the nitty gritty of why all this stuff fails or work. So I will try to submit logs but I will try to minimize personal information in there. I wished that Ums offered anonymous debug logs kind of thing(where it strips video names, user names etc)

thnx