Linux Mint 18, UMS has no GUI

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: Linux Mint 18, UMS has no GUI

Post by Nadahar »

Both of those logfiles look fine, neither runs in "headless mode". Both initializes a GUI without problems, so it's very strange if you don't see one.

The first logfile you submitted on the other hand (from the version built with the script) did report that it ran headless.
ClintSwiney

Post by ClintSwiney »

So I have to run UMS.sh as root to get a GUI? That's not recommended. Is there something more I could check?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

No you don't. As I told you, the log file you submitted when running without sudo was not running headless. If the GUI doesn't show on your screen that must be due to some issue with your OS, as the GUI is initialized without problems. If creating the GUI fails, the log file will say so - and it doesn't.

What was strange, was that the user was still "root" even though you were running without sudo. That's a strange configuration, perhaps you should try as a normal user...
ClintSwiney

Post by ClintSwiney »

What are you looking at in the log that indicates if the GUI ran or if it ran headless?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It says so in clear text:

Code: Select all

Graphics environment not available or headless mode is forced
Switching to console mode
I think you sent me the wrong log file for the non-sudo session. The log file will be created under /var/log/UMS/<username>. If you have picked the logfile from the folder called "root" it won't have been the correct one, and it would explain why everything was referring to "root" in that file as well.

If the user in question doesn't have write permission to /var/log it will try to create the log file under /home/<username>/.config if I remember correctly, so check there as well.