KDE Plasma 5.8 - systray-icon is not clickable

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
newbietux

KDE Plasma 5.8 - systray-icon is not clickable

Post by newbietux »

I use UMS 6.6.0 java8 for linux on openSUSE Leap 42.2 with KDE Plasma 5.8 Desktop.
The systray-icon shows no reaction if I click with the left or the right mouse-button. So I can not see the GUI or the context-Menu.
If I go over the icon with the mouse the text "JavaEmbeddedFrame" is displayed.

I searched for the problem in the web and the best goal whas on this url:
http://kde-bugs-dist.kde.narkive.com/3d ... ntext-menu

Because I'm not the java-programmer I ask the UMS-Experts: Can you help to solve the problem?

Thanks a lot before for your help
Nadahar

Re: KDE Plasma 5.8 - systray-icon is not clickable

Post by Nadahar »

I've seen this before (it's a similar issue in some versions of Gnome). I'm not sure what the techincal problem is, but as I see it the practical problem is that the Linux distros and the desktop managers can't get their act together and follow any kind of standard. If they could stick to a standard like System Tray Protocol Specification it would be possible for developers of e.g Java to make these things work. Sadly, since they mostly seem to ignore freedesktop or any other type of standardization, this will probably never work for other than "KDE native" applications for KDE, "Gnome native" for Gnome etc...

We have very little we can do about this, as Java is abstracted from low level interactions with the OS. We can only use the systray icon that the Java implementation offer us, and it is indeed bugged on many Linux desktops.

I think you'll have to gather a LOT of momentum to solve this (to get the desktop managers to standardize and then get Java to use the new standard), so for all intents and purposes we'll just have to live with it.

What we could and should do is probably to disable "close to systray" and "start minimized" on affected systems. Unfortunately we have no idea how to know which systems are affected. Ideas are welcome.
newbietux

Re: KDE Plasma 5.8 - systray-icon is not clickable

Post by newbietux »

Thanks for your answer.