MKV support in UMS

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
WayfaringStranger

MKV support in UMS

Post by WayfaringStranger »

I have tried multiple times to play MKVs through UMS on my Sony Blu-ray player. Each time I try the player says that the file is either unsupported or corrupt. I have verified the MKV support is in the specs, so what do I need to do to get UMS to support it right?

Additional: I went through the Transcode folder and found that the content would play if I selected {FFmpeg] {Audio: AC3/English}, however, it will not play the file by default (just by file name).

Help :!:
mrw2day

Re: MKV support in UMS

Post by mrw2day »

I have had the same problem. I recently bought a model sony bdps3200 and was having the same problems when I found your post. I went into the sony-bluray.conf file that is in the renderers folder of UMS. I opened it with an editing program notepad++. Scroll down to the bottom. You will see various supported file types based on age/model of the unit. The default is the 2010 version. Since I only recently bought mine...I put a # in front of all the supported file types in the 2010-11 and removed the # for the supported file types in the 2012. I didn't change the foreign version.

I saved and rebooted the computer. I think you have to reboot the computer to reset UMS.

CAUTION: I WOULD BACK UP A COPY OF ORIGINAL SONY-BLURAY.CONF IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG.

This change seems to be working. I have a number of avi xvid and mkv files and all seem to be working ok at the moment.

Good luck I was disappointed as well because I had been using an old sony smp-n200 that isn't made anymore and it had no problems.
'
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: MKV support in UMS

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks for pointing this out, mrw2day. That change will be in the next version.