Sony Bravia squashed screen

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
davey64

Sony Bravia squashed screen

Post by davey64 »

Using UMS 6.7.2 on macOS Sierra connected via ethernet to Sony Bravia 32EX52. All connected but playback of videos is very narrow in height. Any ideas how to overcome this.
Thank You in advance.
Nadahar

Re: Sony Bravia squashed screen

Post by Nadahar »

A good start would be to follow the text in red above so it's possible to know what's going on.
davey64

Post by davey64 »

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

As I pointed out the video is not rendered properly I have the full width of the screen, but the height is about half of what should be seen and thus the picture is compressed, i.e. squashed.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It's supposed to mean that you should read the link called "Problem Reporting Guidelines" above in the red text.
davey64

Post by davey64 »

Yes I get that but there is no point as the debug info contains no information as to the problem.
The issue with the Sony is not a new one as I see many people have reported the problem here and elsewhere, so I was wondering if there was a fix.
As I see you are a developer then I thought you might be able to shine a bit more light on the matter rather than an impertinent stock answer.
I have added the debug info, but once the video has started playing there is no more info displayed
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(220.31 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't remember or am familiar with all the different issues that exists. The point is that although the log file doesn't show an error, it tells a lot of what UMS is doing when delivering the media. As this is an aspect ration problem, the log is very likely to contain information about choices made about that.

Video transcoding is really not my cup of tea, but I can see a couple of strange things:
  • You are forcing transcoding for a whole bunch of extensions. Why is that?
  • For "Kubo.And.The.Two.Strings", "resolution="1918x804"" is reported by UMS. That doesn't sound correct. Can you find out what the actual resolution of the source file is?
davey64

Post by davey64 »

The resolution is correct, it plays well when connected to the tv via a usb stick.
I don't know what you mean by 'forcing a whole bunch of extensions'
this is a standard install of UMS, I have not changed anything in the transcoding settings.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You're using a non-standard renderer configuration for the Bravia that forces a lot of formats to transcode even if the TV can actually play them back without transcoding:

Code: Select all

TranscodeExtensions = dvr-ms,dvr,mkv,dv,ty,mov,ogm,hdmov,hdm,rmv,rmvb,rm,asf,evo,asx,flv,m2v,mpe,mod,tivo,ty,tmf,ts,tp,m2p,mp4,m4v,avi,wmv,wm,divx,div,flac,mlp,fla,wma,m4a,aac,dts,mka,ape,ogg,shn,mpc,ra,mp2,wv,oma,aa3,gif,png,arw,cr2,crw,dng,raf,mrw,nef,pef,tif,tiff
You can find the version shipped with UMS here: https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... viaEX.conf

I'm not so sure that explains your aspect ratio issues, but it can cause a lot of other unnecessary hazzle. It's always better to avoid transcoding if possible, both for quality, seeking, selection of audio language/subtitles and more.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Sorry, it turns out this configuration was fixed after 6.7.2 was released. I'd still try to update it with the latest version though.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I suspect that the aspect ratio problem is also found in the renderer configuration file, in this line:

Code: Select all

OverrideFFmpegVideoFilter = pad=max(iw*1.01\\,ih*1.01*(16/9)):ow/(16/9):(ow-iw)/16:(oh-ih)/16, setdar=4/3
It seems to do stuff with the aspect ration and padding, but I don't know enough about FFmpeg to understand exactly what it does.