Transcoding settings are not available

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
valorn

Transcoding settings are not available

Post by valorn »

Hi

Using MacOS High Sierra, last Java, UMS 6.7.4 or 7.RC1.

I cannot access to Transcoding settings. I can only see "Disable subtitles" option there.

I have unchecked the option of hiding advanced options in General settings, then I reloaded server. I tried also to exit and enter UMS program again. By the way, it doesn't save the General settings...

If I change desktops, sometimes I can see the transcoding settings, but I cannot select any of the options there, only "disable subtitles".

Any ideas?
Sami32

Re: Transcoding settings are not available

Post by Sami32 »

Hi,

yes, a very simple one: follow the "Problem Reporting Guideline" write in red above your post ;)
A screen capture could also help.

EDIT: "Disable subtitles" is in the "Transcoding Settings" tab.
Make sure you didn't selected "Hide advanced options" in the "General Configuration" tab.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I think there's a problem that causes the settings not to be saved - which means that "hide advanced options" is always on. Check that UMS has write access to the profile folder (you can find the profile folder early in the log in the "Logs" tab).
valorn

Post by valorn »

Thank you for your help.
I manually changed UMS.conf and turned the value true into false.
Now I can see the settings.
But the changes I do in the settings are not saved. I send the debug file. How can I make it writable?
Thanks
Attachments
debug.txt
(32.08 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
Last edited by valorn on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't think you will be able to save other settings from the GUI either. I don't know what is changed in High Sierra, but we have had several reports of issues so my guess is that they have implemented some kind of sandboxing or other "security issue" that prevents UMS from writing to its config files.

The real solution would probably be to figure out what has changed and how to allow UMS to write to the profile folder.
valorn

Post by valorn »

Do you think there should be a Java issue more than High Sierra?
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

@valorn If you could consider read carefully these steps: (full TRACE log create AFTER reproducing your issue)
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=556
Using the latest stable UMS realease 6.7.4, and not any 7.0.0 versions as you did, or report your issue into the 7.0.0 section. That mean that you'll have to do a clean install.
After that, we should have a usable log to look at.

For now, the only thing visible into your log is that is bad is:
ERROR 2017-12-11 22:28:15.786 [main] A serious error occurred during Universal Media Server initialization: null