How to view the Mac Photo library NOT iPhoto?

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
jimbob

How to view the Mac Photo library NOT iPhoto?

Post by jimbob »

As Apple have not really supported iPhoto for a while, I was wondering when you are going to support the current Photo application instead?
Nadahar

Re: How to view the Mac Photo library NOT iPhoto?

Post by Nadahar »

I don't understand why UMS should "support" Apple's applications. Simply add the folder with the photos as a shared folder and UMS will serve the photos.
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

Because they currently 'support' iTunes and iPhoto, so why not change iPhoto support to Photos support?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It seems to me that you're not fully aware of how free open source volunteer based software is developed. There is no money involved with UMS except the website rental. That means nobody gets paid for what they do, and as such only functionality that someone deems worth implementing is implemented.

On the plus side, anyone can contribute. I'm pretty sure that if a working implementation for "Mac Photo" was contributed by someone (you can do it if you want it), it would be merged.

Some time many years ago somebody found it worth the time to implement support for iPhoto and iTunes (and possible some other Apple "services"). As a consequence UMS supports this, although I don't know if the implementation has been updated to accommodate Apple's changes since this was implemented. It might be that it doesn't work with the current iTunes for all I know.

Since I really don't understand people that wish to support Apple in their constant attempt to swindle their customers, I don't understand why people would use any of Apple's devices or services. As such, iTunes and other Apple "services" isn't something I think is worth spending very much of my free time on. Others might see it differently, and they can choose to spend their time on this. Since nobody has implemented support for "Mac Photo" yet, it seems that the need isn't great enough that anyone has considered it worth their time. You, or anybody else that see it differently, are free to spend your time implementing it.
jimbob

Post by jimbob »

Thanks.
I ask a simple question and get a rant and opinionising instead of solutionising.
Goodbye.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

"opinionising"?

I was trying to explain to you how it works. For something to exist, someone will have to make it. You didn't ask if it would be supported but when, which indicates to me that you take it for granted that it should. That's why I explained...