UMS stalled after configuration wizard

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
macauto09

UMS stalled after configuration wizard

Post by macauto09 »

Hi,

Whenever I launch UMS 7.0.0rc2, the configuration wizard appears even if I previously answered the config questions. Once I answer them again, the splash screen is shown. Then, UMS seems to be stalled and the GUI never appears. The same thing happens with UMS 6.8.0. I have already tried to reinstall both of them.

Any clue on what might be causing this? Thanks for any help!
Attachments
debug.log
(3.24 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
Nadahar

Re: UMS stalled after configuration wizard

Post by Nadahar »

I think there is some problem with high sierra and Apple's "sandboxing". As we I don't have the OS available for testing, I can't really say what, but my guess is that UMS is restricted from doing something that is used to be able to do.

The log file isn't of much help as it's not in "trace" mode and it stops very quickly.
macauto09

Post by macauto09 »

Thanks for your answer. Here you have the log file in trace mode. Please, notice that I have been waiting about 5 minutes to see if more log entries were created after "TRACE 2018-01-27 00:36:23.487 [main] Writer class: com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageWriter", but that was not the case.
Attachments
debug.log
(8.43 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

It's hard to know exactly what happens when the log just stops like this without any error, but when I check the code this is the time when it's starting to read the configuration file: "/Users/miguel/Library/Application Support/UMS/UMS.conf". The most likely reason for the problem is that the attempt to read this file is blocked and that the code basically waits "forever" for the results.

The setting it's trying to read at that time is "run_wizard", but it doubt that matters. The problem is probably accessing the file itself. File permissions for the file seem to be OK, so I'm assuming this is caused by some "security" function added by Apple.
macauto09

Post by macauto09 »

Hi,

Here is what I have tried:
- I installed 6.7.4 version and it worked fine.
- I then replaced 6.7.4 app package with 6.8.0 app package and also worked fine.
- I then replaced 6.8.0 app package with 7.0.0rc2 app package and also worked fine.
- I installed UMS 6.8.0 after removing 7.0.0rc2 app package, $HOME/Library/Application Support/UMS and $HOME/Library/Saved Application State/net.pms.PMS.savedState. UMS stalled.
- I installed UMS 7.0.0rc2 after removing 6.8.0 app package, $HOME/Library/Application Support/UMS and $HOME/Library/Saved Application State/net.pms.PMS.savedState. UMS stalled.

So, it seems to be an issue with clean installs of 6.8.0 and 7.0.0rc2.

Thanks very much for helping me make UMS work in my laptop. I also hope the information I provide might be useful to solve the issue in future releases.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Hi @ macauto09,

great that helped you :)

Many users get issue while using 7.0.0 version and downgrading, mainly because they didn't do a clean install, and get a database imcompatibility issue.
That said 7 version is still unstable, so issues are more probable to be met.
Only one developper work on the 7.0.0 version, and honestly i didn't even checked at the code so...