UMS quits unexpectedly on startup every time its opened.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
thelonedoc

UMS quits unexpectedly on startup every time its opened.

Post by thelonedoc »

Hi there, I am new to UMS but I love it already. Now I would like to get it running smoothly to get the most out of it. I am on osx 10.6.8 because of some specific music recording software and equipment, so I am stuck with what I have. That being said I am still running java 7. Every time I start UMS I get an error message saying that "UMS quit unexpectedly" the strange thing is that it doesn't actually quit. This also happens very frequently when I go to play a video using Bubbleupnp as the controller and a google chromecast as the renderer. I compiled a trace log which should detail the odd crash upon starting the app but I couldn't get the crash to occur when playing a video so hopefully I changed a setting or something that resolved that aspect. I suspect that it will happen again though. I should also note that when this message pops up during the attempt to play a video it does appear to cause a disruption because the video will not play and a couple of times I even received an error message in bubbleupnp as well. Since I am now creating a thread about this I will update it with any further trace logs that can be associated with the playback errors as well as errors I receive in Bubbleupnp.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I am excited to get this server up and running smoothly.
ums_dbg.zip
(78.87 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Nadahar

Re: UMS quits unexpectedly on startup every time its opened.

Post by Nadahar »

Since Apple makes so many changes to their API between versions, supporting old OS'es is difficult. I think anything below 10.7 would be difficult. I've used 10.8.5 for testing, so I know that works at least.

That said, we don't use the API that much so you might be lucky and most things could work anyway. I would make sure to turn off the "Prevent sleep" functionality, as I'm pretty sure it doesn't work properly on your version. Your log also contains a crash caused by the old version that should only apply when you're running in "trace" mode (we're gathering some hardware information for logging, which is only done when "trace" is active).

I suspect the problem is with one of our bundled "transcoding engines", probably FFmpeg. The bundled version of FFmpeg or MEncoder might not work with your OS version, and that you need to replace it with a version that does work manually. You can find them at "/Applications/Universal Media Server.app/Contents/Resources/osx/mplayer" and "/Applications/Universal Media Server.app/Contents/Resources/osx/ffmpeg". Just rename the file (as a backup) and replace it with a different version that works properly for your OS version.

You can open a terminal and try to run them manually to see if them seem to be working or not.
thelonedoc

Post by thelonedoc »

K some great info for me work with. Coincidently I am also struggling to set up a bubbleupnp server on this same machine and ffmpeg is the culprit there too. I am pretty lost when i comes to finding a compatible version. It seem like the only way to make one that is perfect for your particular setup is to actually compile the static binary yourself using the various encoders and sources that are also compatible with your operating system. I can't even delve into this because in order to compile your own binary you need to be running at least osx 10.7... Any more help finding the right ffmpeg would be greatly appreciated I have already been searching for a few days. Or if you know someone who can help me compile the correct binary that would also be a great help.
thelonedoc

Post by thelonedoc »

Also there s no way that I can update the operating system, I need to find fixes for snow leopard... :(
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Sorry, I know very little about compiling C code in general, and nothing about Xcode and the whole mac world. I would think you should be able to find some version already made somewhere though.
thelonedoc

Post by thelonedoc »

See thats the problem, I have tried several that have been compiled for this operating system and they still will not work. It is driving me crazy.
Sami32

Post by Sami32 »

Hi thelonedoc,

Here a FFmpeg version that should fit your need:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9129&p=29471&hilit= ... peg#p29457

For macOS explanation consider read this forum thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9151&p=29522&hilit ... ild#p29522

Hoping that helped.