Mac High Sierra problems

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Miklos

Mac High Sierra problems

Post by Miklos »

Up until earlier this week UMS performed fine with both my Marantz NA6005 & Mac OS High Sierra 10.3.3.

Then all of a sudden the Marantz was no longer identifying UMS.

The Marantz icon was also no longer appearing in the UMS Status window.

As far as I am aware I have done nothing (added nothing) to cause this effect (although Apple sometimes introduce things behind the scenes - while you're napping!!!)

Searching around the Forum I read about quite a few current problems with Mac High Sierra & UMS which resulted in me uninstalling my current UMS 6.8.0 which others had problems with and returning to UMS 6.7.4 which was considered more stable. I did this as a 'clean install'

Still nothing is 'working' - the Marantz is not identifying UMS and the Marantz icon is not appearing in the UMS Status window (despite being listed in the config list).

Hmmmmm :-(

Here is this morning's debug info if it helps:-
ums_dbg.zip
(16.87 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
Hope somebody will be able to advise.

Cheers.
Miklos

Re: Mac High Sierra problems

Post by Miklos »

Adding to the problem my TRANSCODING SETTINGS window isn't displaying properly - only offers Disable subtitles by default each time.

TRANSCODING SETTINGS.png
TRANSCODING SETTINGS.png (38.62 KiB) Viewed 10315 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't think 6.7.4 is any more "stable" than 6.8.0. The problems have been with the 7.0.0 versions. In any case, it doesn't look like the UMS version is relevant here, as I don't think there's any communication at all from the Marantz.

The network devices I can see in your log are:
  • 192.168.1.64: UMS/macOS
  • 192.168.1.67: Panasonic AS650
  • 192.168.1.73: Conservatory - Sonos PLAY:1 Media Renderer
  • 192.168.1.74: Conservatory - Sonos PLAY:1 Media Renderer
  • 192.168.1.254: Unknown renderer
It might be that 192.168.1.254 is actually the Marantz, but that device doesn't give any identifying information so I don't think any previous versions of UMS could have been able to recognize it either. What address does the Marantz have? We've also seen several examples where renderers has stopped working because of some internal problem and starts working again after a cold (power off/on, not just stanby) reboot. Have you tried rebooting the Marantz/disconnecting its power cable?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Your GUI "problem" is because you've chosen to hide "advanced settings". Enable them on the "General" tab.
Miklos

Post by Miklos »

Thanks for your advice, Nadahar

I have enabled 'advanced settings' as suggested and everything is now out on show in the Transcoding Settings window. Don't know how that happened other than if my earlier up-grade to UMS 6.8.0 somehow activated that setting when turned on for the first time. Anyhow - it's now working.

Re the network devices - '192.168.1.254: Unknown renderer' turns out to be my BT Smart Hub router.

How do I find out the address for the Marantz? I'm uncertain where the address is located.

I have tried disconnecting the Marantz from the mains previously but to no avail in the longterm.

I think I will try to give it a good 'rest' overnight and re-set the unit from scratch in the morning to see if that throws some light onto the problem.

Anything else you can think of I will give it a try. Do you think I should revert back to the later 6.8.0 for now?

Best Regards
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

To find the IP address of the Marantz you'll have to dig into the menu's on the Marantz itself and look at the network settings. If you're using DHCP (automatic IP assignment), you can probably find it in the DHCP overview in your router. It's impossible to know what it's "network name" is though, so you might have to "eliminate" known devices and hopefully have just one left ;)
Miklos

Post by Miklos »

Thanks again, Nadahar

Double checking the Marantz's Menu settings - it has an IP address of 192.168.1.68

(DHCP is 'ON' and the SSID is my BT Smart Hub)

I have taken a look at the Marantz on-line manual and under settings it offers this:
MARANTZ NETWORK.png
MARANTZ NETWORK.png (94.95 KiB) Viewed 10308 times
It looks as if the Marantz is using CLASS C IP range.

I also hook up UMS with my Panasonic Smart TV and the video files/audio from my Mac come through safe and sound so it seems to be pointing at the connection (or non in this case) between UMS on my Mac & the Marantz machine.

This is even more curious since everything worked fine earlier in the week and (as far as I know) I have not altered any settings.

Regards :-)
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

When DHCP is enabled, it client (the Marantz) will use whatever IP address it is assigned. The ranges mentioned in the manual are the IEFT defined private IPv4 address ranges. All (that I've seen) NAT routers are configured to use one of these by default. If can can see on the Marantz that it is assigned 192.168.1.68 it indicates that the contact with your DHCP server (router) is working. Some devices will just keep the old address if they can't get a new one though, so it could only mean that they used to have contact. You should check in your router configuration, you can usually find a list of assigned (leased) addresses. In that list, make sure that 192.168.1.68 is "active" and not "released" or similar.

The IP range is correct and corresponds to the range/subnet used by your other devices. If the Marantz has network connectivity it's very strange that it doesn't contact UMS. My guess is that it doesn't currently have network connectivity, and that you won't find an active lease in the router.

You can also try to "ping" 192.168.1.68 from your computer, to confirm that there is network connectivity. Open a terminal and run "ping 192.168.1.68" and you should get responses. If you get timeouts or "host unreachable" or similar you have a network problem.
Miklos

Post by Miklos »

Thanks for all of that, Nadahar

I have double-checked the BT Hub Network info and get this :-
BT SMART HUB.png
BT SMART HUB.png (104.13 KiB) Viewed 10302 times
As far as I can understand it all seems to be 'connected' albeit identified as 'Games Console' - but all the IP addresses, etc seem to add up (I think?).

The MAC address is the same as shown on the Marantz unit.

This screen grab was taken after I left the Marantz disconnected from the mains for 1hour and then turned it all back on, etc.

Is there anything above that shouts out to you as being 'suspect'?

Cheers
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

No, everything seems fine. I really have no idea what might cause this then. The way it works is that UMS announces it's existence on the network, and that interested parties then contact UMS. According to your log file the Marantz never contacts UMS, although a lot of other devices do. That makes it very difficult to know why as long as the network connectivity is working.

Since the other devices seems to be able to connect to UMS, it doesn't seem like you have a firewall problem blocking the Marantz either. You could always try to disable the firewall running on the mac to be sure, but it seems unlikely. The only other thing I can think of is that your router has some internal issues. If you haven't, you should try to power-cycle the router as well.

Except for this, I'm out of ideas.