Difference between output on PS3 and PS4

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
trikster

Difference between output on PS3 and PS4

Post by trikster »

Noticed this recently. On a few videos I have on my computer, when I play them on my PS3, I have zero issues. When I play those same videos on the PS4, I have some pixelation and the audio sounds highly compressed.

Now, I’m serving both units from the same server with the same settings, over Ethernet. And no, I wasn’t serving both units at the same time. I restarted the server between units so there wasn’t anything cached.

Ideas? I don’t even know where to begin. I wish I could pull out my old PS3, but it seems to do much better than the new-hotness, PS4 Pro.
Nadahar

Re: Difference between output on PS3 and PS4

Post by Nadahar »

There are a lot of reports of misc problems with the PS4 around the forum, the PS4 "media player" has had some issues. That said, UMS is based on PS3 Media Server, so a lot of the code is still "optimized" for the PS3. In your case it seems that the video is being transcoded to a too low quality. Various settings and circumstances can affect this, so create debug files as described in red above and post them here. Make sure to play one of the problematic videos on the PS4 while capturing the debug files.