UMS 7.0.1 and macOS 10.13.4

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
davey64

UMS 7.0.1 and macOS 10.13.4

Post by davey64 »

Having installed UMS 7.0.1 on a Mac running High Sierra 10.13.4, the UMS app will not launch, I get a notice that the app is damaged and to move it to the Trash. Downloaded and installed several times, same problem.
The Mac I use has three different OS versions on it, the others being macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 both of these will run UMS 7.0.1.

The drive with High Sierra can run UMS 7.0. and UMS 6.7.2.

So is there a known problem with 7.0.1 and macOS Sierra 10.13.4.

Thank You.
Nadahar

Re: UMS 7.0.1 and macOS 10.13.4

Post by Nadahar »

It's hard to see how there could be a difference between 7.0.0 and 7.0.1 in that regard. What Java version are you using? Java 9 and 10 isn't fully compatible with UMS (and a lot of other Java applications yet), so making sure to use Java 8 is the best thing to do until solutions can be found.
davey64

Post by davey64 »

Have you tried to run UMS on High Sierra 10.13.4, its not just me having an issue with this, as I say UMS 7.0.1 will run on Sierra 10.12.6 and El Capitan 10.11.6.
I am running Java 8 update 171, as I said before I can run UMS 7.0.0 and 6.7.2, so not a Java issue.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't have access to anything never than 10.12 because Apple has made some changes to 10.13 that makes it incompatible with my virtualization server.
davey64

Post by davey64 »

So are you saying that it has not been tested on High Sierra at all, or just that you personally can't run High Sierra. I can't believe you don't have a Mac knocking about.
Is there any other developers around who have experience of High Sierra and UMS 7.0.1, and have you raised the issue with them.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Hehe, I can't believe how people can think that others "ought to have" Apple products. macOS has a very small market share, and it is definitly not to be expected that people have a computer running it (you will get slightly different numbers depending on what statistics you use).

https://netmarketshare.com/operating-sy ... 1000%22%7D
http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-sha ... /worldwide

I am and have always been against Apple products by principle though, although I must admit that Microsoft has more or less catched up to Apple when it comes to bad practices in later years. I don't think I'll ever buy a Microsoft or Apple product again. The only reason I run macOS as a VM is to be able to troubleshoot software issues, and it's no surprise to me that Apple has done something to sabotage this. After all, they try to force people to buy their hardware at an excessive price just to be allowed to make sure the software works. Doing that for testing completely unpaid work for open source software is completely out of the question.

I do think @SubJunk has access to a mac at work, but I have no idea how often he use that or to which degree he is able to do UMS relates testing on that. What I do know is that I'm the one that usually tests and takes care of the macOS issues, and until I am able to get High Sierra to run as a VM I won't be able to test it and look into potential issues.
davey64

Post by davey64 »

Well if that is your attitude towards Apple and people who buy Apple products then why are you in the business of providing software for that platform.
It's not the first time I have come across your answers as being crass and dismissive.
If you are in the support business then I suggest you actually do support the issues people are having, to be told in a forum for Mac OS users that you do not entirely support your product in Mac OS as you would agree is incredibly stupid. I suggest you look for another job obviously not in an industry in which you have so little interest and regard for your patrons.
Mine was a simple request for information and assistance and yet you have decided to embark on a bitter diatribe relating your dissatisfaction with your working life.
The simple fact that your software won't even launch shows that you and your colleagues have very little interest in your product, as there are many software developers that can write code that allows their software to open in macOS High Sierra 10.13.4. How hard can it be.
Is there anyone in your organisation that would actually like to help in this matter, then perhaps you can get them to respond to the issue and my request.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

You have gotten everything wrong.

This is NOT my job, in fact nobody gets paid for their work with UMS. There is no business. It is made and supported entirely by volunteers in our free time, because we want to make something for others to use without getting ripped off by greedy companies. Didn't you notice that you didn't have to pay when you downloaded and installed UMS, and that there's no ads or other dubious tricks. There is no nagging about "upgrading to premium or pro", everybody gets everything for free. The code is open source, and anybody can use it, fork and fork it and generally do what they want to with it as long as they don't use it in closed source projects.

I suggest that you buy a commercial software and pay for support if you want to be able to have that arrogant attitude towards those trying to help you. People that gets paid for providing support will often go to great lengths to kiss your ass while serving you vague and useless information to not admit to any weaknesses with their product. This sounds like just the thing you need.

As I've told you before, there's nothing I can do without access to a working High Sierra. Since UMS is made by anyone that is willing to contribute, anybody with access to the platform is free to investigate the problem and try to identify the cause. As soon as someone finds what's the problem, we will correct it if possible, but unfortunately we don't do magic and can't guess what's causing the problem.
boss

Post by boss »

@Nadaha
You know that, even though UMS is completely free and without advertising and you guys put in all your support time for free, you should run out and buy every piece of hardware and run every every single operating system that UMS supports just in case there is an isuue here or there.

I can't believe some comments. :lol:
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Yeah, some people simply lack perspective :lol: