All versions of UMS have stopped working, and I don't know why.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Tranquillado

All versions of UMS have stopped working, and I don't know why.

Post by Tranquillado »

Hi.

I’ve been using v7.0.1 for a long time because every version after it does not find my PS4 Pro. (Some post-7.0.1 versions find my Xbox One X, others don’t.)

I’m unsure if problems arose after updating to Java 8—and I have since downgraded to the last version of 7—but here’s what (still) happens:

7.0.1 won’t even start; it remains on the splash screen, and same goes for 7.0.2 and a couple after that. Versions 7.3.0 and later do start but will not find either my PS4 Pro or Xbox One X.

I haven’t messed with a single UMS pref, or altered anything having to do with my network.

Other DLNA/streaming apps like PLEX and ArkMS work as intended and can see and stream to either console. Granted, I tried both of those after downgrading to the last version of Java 7, so who knows?

I want to keep using UMS! Can anyone get me started troubleshooting? I’ve attached a fresh trace log for 7.5.0. I’d attach one for 7.0.1 but like I said it does not any longer advance past the splash screen.

Thanks.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(16.5 KiB) Downloaded 543 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: All versions of UMS have stopped working, and I don't know why.

Post by SubJunk »

Hi Tranquillado,
Unfortunately some versions of UMS prevent backwards-compatibility explicitly. We have changed that now but we can't do anything about those older builds :( You can work around that behaviour by deleting the database folder in your UMS settings which is usually in /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/UMS/database

If those older versions do fix your detection bug, please let me know and I will work with you to fix the bug in newer versions
Tranquillado

Post by Tranquillado »

Hi, SubJunk.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll give it a try and report back in this thread.
Tranquillado

Post by Tranquillado »

SubJunk:

I deleted the database folder and ran 7.0.1, and it started normally but did not see the PS4. Then on a hunch I clicked the Web Interface button and it wouldn’t load in any browser. I am pretty darned sure it used to.

So I deleted the database folder again then ran 7.5.0 and it too did not see the PS4, or run the web interface. Both versions try connecting to a local IP address and port (10.0.1.16:9001), as they should.

I looked at the “Force networking on interface” pref and it has “en1 (10.0.1.16)” selected; the other options are blank and “lo0.”

A couple weeks ago I started using a VPN, which I had to custom configure for a couple things. Do you suppose that has anything to do with it? It seems so strange that PLEX and ArkMS work fine but UMS suddenly can’t.

I am mystified!
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

What if you remove or rename your whole profile folder so that UMS uses its default settings?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I'd just like to add that I would try without the VPN active to eliminate that. I can't explain why the VPN doesn't affect PLEX, but I know that very often VPN clients modifies the local network in such ways that UPnP stops working.

Just to be clear: A VPN connection in itself should have no impact on the local network (which is what UMS needs), but very often the VPN client software that people typically install do. The VPN client software often more or less blocks access to the local network to avoid "leaks" (like "DNS leaks") which in reality means that it will force all traffic through the VPN. If this is the case, UPnP will not work.

Slightly off topic: A "DNS leak" isn't really a "leak" in that it is how networks are supposed to work. The reason it has become something people worry about is that it can be used both to detect which addresses are accessed via the VPN connection, and it can be used by remote sites to "detect" a VPN connection in that the network request and the DNS request comes from different addresses, and the DNS request can give away your real IP address and thus location.

It is perfectly possible to configure your network so that it does use DNS via VPN without having a "client software" do all the changes for you, but such configurations requires more network knowledge than most people possess. As a result of this and other similar "situations", it has become customary that these "VPN clients" blocks much more than actually need "to be on the safe side", typically breaking things like UPnP.
Tranquillado

Post by Tranquillado »

SubJunk wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:12 pm What if you remove or rename your whole profile folder so that UMS uses its default settings?
Hi, SubJunk. Apologies for the lengthy absence. Life, y’know?

So I removed my profile folder and ran the latest version and it (repeatedly) hung when prompting me to select a folder. Then I trashed the profile folder again and ran 6.7.4 and all was well—until I tried to find my PS4 and Xbox. No go. And the web interface still won’t load in any browser.

And as for VPN, I never run clients like UMS through a VPN connection. I mentioned VPN only because of the potential it modified something in network prefs.

I’m getting a nagging suspicion that short of a complete reinstallation of High Sierra UMS isn’t going to work anymore with my MPB—and I don’t know why! :?