[Solved] Can't play x265 anymore after running installer

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
madman555

[Solved] Can't play x265 anymore after running installer

Post by madman555 »

Hi, I was running version 7.3.0 and was able to play x265 files on my Samsung TV. Last night, I ran the installer for 7.6.0 and it stopped playing the files. Since then, I'm downgraded back to 7.3.0 using the same renderer and settings but it still won't play the files. The weird thing is I got it to play the movie once and then it stopped working again after rebooting. Any idea if the version of Java affects playback? I'm really lost and not sure where to start. Looking at the log files don't show much. I'm running Mojave. It stopped working after running the package installer so I have a feeling it updated some other files

I've attached the trace log files. It fails to work when playing Incredibles 2 but works playing Fifty Shades

If I I go to the TRANSCODE folder and select NO TRANSCODING, it plays fine as well

Update:
I set UMS to skip transcoding for MKV files and it plays! So I think the problem is that UMS is transcoding the files when it doesn't need to. Can someone take a look at my renderer and let me know if I have something wrong? All the files are matching:
Supported = f:mpegts v:h264|h265 a:aac-lc|he-aac|ac3|dts|dtshd|eac3|lpcm|mp3|mpa|wma m:video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts
An example of a file I'm trying to play is Incredibles.2.2018.2160p.UHD.BluRay.X265-IAMABLE
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(246.84 KiB) Downloaded 594 times
Sami32

Re: Can't play x265 anymore after running installer

Post by Sami32 »

Hi,
sorry to see that still no one answered you.

AFAIK your Samsung model doesn't support TrueHD or Atmos, so the only way i can see you being able to play it from the #-TRANSCODE-# folder using [No transcoding] is to have choose the AC3 audio stream instead.

Please, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

EDIT:
And i suggest you to unselect the GPU acceleration if you want avoid transcoding bug ;)
madman555

Post by madman555 »

Thank you for responding. My TV doesn't support DTS or DTSHD but is able to play TrueHD. I ended up adding TrueHD to my renderer and it's been working since. I'm not really sure why everything seemed to be working fine before I tried updating. In any case, I have a much better understanding of UMS now, which is nice.

In case anyone is interested, I'll upload the conf for my 2018 Samsung Q6
Attachments
Samsung-Q6series.conf
(4.34 KiB) Downloaded 648 times
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Thanks madman, that updated config will be in the next release