UMS won't start on Mavericks

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
mendoza_no

UMS won't start on Mavericks

Post by mendoza_no »

Hi,
I just discovered UMS by chance and wanted to try it but it does not seem to start on my Mac. I have OSX 10.9.4 with java 8. I downloaded and installed UMS-4.0.1-Java-8.dmg but the GUI does not appear.
One detail, I don't know if it's important but the window of the unpacked .dmg is actually named "UMS-4.0.1-Java-7".

Thanks for your help, I would really like to try UMS!

EDIT: When I tried to launch the java app launcher I got the following lines:

/Applications/Universal\ Media\ Server.app/Contents/MacOS/JavaAppLauncher ; exit;
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.slf4j.spi.LocationAwareLogger.log(Lorg/slf4j/Marker;Ljava/lang/String;ILjava/lang/String;[Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Throwable;)V
at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SLF4JLocationAwareLog.debug(SLF4JLocationAwareLog.java:133)
at org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractFileConfiguration.setFileName(AbstractFileConfiguration.java:588)
at org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractFileConfiguration.setFile(AbstractFileConfiguration.java:663)
at org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractFileConfiguration.setPath(AbstractFileConfiguration.java:694)
at net.pms.configuration.PmsConfiguration.<init>(PmsConfiguration.java:485)
at net.pms.configuration.PmsConfiguration.<init>(PmsConfiguration.java:445)
at net.pms.PMS.main(PMS.java:1116)
logout
Last edited by mendoza_no on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mendoza_no

Re: UMS won't start on Mavericks

Post by mendoza_no »

Just tried to unistall java, downgraded to java 7 but it did not help...
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Could you try the version labeled UMS-4.0.2-Java-7_withfix from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/unimedi ... es/OS%20X/
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
mendoza_no

Post by mendoza_no »

Thanks Optimus_prime. I tried and I get the same results...
I did some search on the interenet, and although I don't know anything about java, several people have had this problem with other programs using java. It looks to me like I may have more than one version of slf4j and that UMS calls the wrong one. Would this make sense?
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Not sure, i'll take a look and see what i come up with
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

I just tried with OS-X 10.9.4 with Java 8 Update 11 (JDK that is not the JRE), UMS-4.0.2-Java-7_withfix and i'm not seeing the issue that your getting. I'll investigate a little more to see if i can't see if i can find a fix for you
How Ask For Support
mendoza_no

Post by mendoza_no »

Thanks for that. What you said makes sense though, if the problem comes from different versions of slf4j (because of other installed applications) you may not have the problem if you don't have these.
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

If you find out what version is the default i could try and build you a version to see if that fixes it
How Ask For Support
mendoza_no

Post by mendoza_no »

I tried but couldn't find out. I couldn't even find the way to look at waht versions I may have or not... :(
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Ok Lets try a few things.
post the output of the terminal with the command below

Code: Select all

echo $classpath
also tell me if slf4j (could be a few different types but all start with slf4j) is in one of these two directories
/Library/Java/Extensions
and
/System/Java/Library/Extensions
If in both or one or another, try copying it to another folder (both if there is one in both) delete the one in the original directory and re-run UMS and see if that helps
How Ask For Support