[Solved] Very slow startup

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
coffeym

[Solved] Very slow startup

Post by coffeym »

I'm running the Java 8 version of UMS 4.2.1 on Yosemite, and am noticing very slow startup times compared to prior versions. From the log it looks like it's not UMS's fault - in other words, it looks like it's Java taking the time (approximately three minutes) to get into gear. Is anyone else experiencing this, or anyone have any suggestions for a fix?
Whistler

Re: Very slow startup

Post by Whistler »

I don't know if this is related but check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2340

It has to do with ffmpeg running the cpu at 100% at startup.
I bring this up because you mentioned the three minute delay. When I was monitoring my UMS startup it took approximately 3 minutes for ffmpeg to finally release.
coffeym

Post by coffeym »

It appears to be a separate issue, but I've fixed it: I uninstalled Java 8 and re-installed Apple's Java 6 from their website. Then I installed the Java 6 version of 4.2.1, and all issues are resolved. This includes the accent bug I was seeing, where files with accented letters in their titles would not should up on the renderer.

Thanks for your suggestion though!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Outstanding! Glad you found the fix. I'll add it to my "just in case" file. :D
Perhaps as Yosemite matures and the supporting techs (Java, ffmpeg, etc.) catch up we'll have fewer workarounds.