UMS stopped working for me as of version 4

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
SD60AC

UMS stopped working for me as of version 4

Post by SD60AC »

I used to use UMS up until 4.0 came out to stream MKV files to my PS3 over wifi. Everything was peachy, but from 4.0 on (and I've checked with every new version), I get constant DLNA errors and failed connections (on the PS3 side). On the rare occasion when files do play, they're extremely choppy, often freezing up completely within 30 seconds. There's even been a few instances where the frozen file actually locks up the PS3!

I just use the basic UMS settings (using the wizard for setup), and using default wifi bandwidth settings or auto-bandwidth gives the same result. I've done clean installs of UMS with each new version...same problem. Even after a hard drive replacement and a clean install of OS X itself, the problem recurs. (The hard drive had died, I didn't scorch the earth just for UMS!)

Finally...if I use the old PS3 Media Server software, I have no problems unless it's an HD file with a lot of rapid movement (like battle sequences in CGI-heavy movies or animation.) That old software works, but UMS doesn't? Rather aggravating!

Any ideas? I've got nothin'. Log files are attached. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by SD60AC on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Re: UMS stopped working for me as of version 4

Post by SubJunk »

Hi SD60AC, that does sound frustrating! Can you please also provide logs from the last version that worked so I can compare them? Thanks :)
SD60AC

Post by SD60AC »

I don't have the old logs, unfortunately. Those would've been on the hard drive that died last year. :(

In fact, quick addendum since I forgot to mention this in the original post: when I was having problems with the newer versions, I tried going back to versions that worked before (3.x)...and the new problems happened there, too.
Nickm11

Post by Nickm11 »

If you upgraded you Java you may need to upgrade your UMS to a Java specific version.
SD60AC

Post by SD60AC »

Did that, as well. No effect.
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Hi SD60C, that does make it more mysterious! Can you try going to the Transcoding Settings tab, then the FFmpeg subtab on the left, untick "Remux videos..." and then click Save up the top? Does it work after doing that?
SD60AC

Post by SD60AC »

Almost! Video runs smoothly now, it seems...but the audio cuts out after 10-30 seconds. Still, this is magnificent progress. :)
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Great, thanks for reporting back :) Can you please provide logs for the new issue, after the audio cuts out?
SD60AC

Post by SD60AC »

Here it is.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(194.24 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
SD60AC

Post by SD60AC »

BTW, I'm going to upgrade to UMS v5. Should I make any other changes to try to fix the audio issue?