"UMS is damaged and cannot be opened"

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Tezcatlipoca

"UMS is damaged and cannot be opened"

Post by Tezcatlipoca »

I've been running UMS 5b1, and just tried to install the recently released final version of UMS 5 for OS X.

I'm using Java 8 (up to date), so downloaded the Java 8 version of UMS 5.

It downloads and extracts OK, but when I try and open the file my Mac tells me that "Universal Media Server is damaged and cannot be opened" and gives the option to move it to trash.

I've tried downloading it using both Safari and Firefox, and from different mirrors, and it gives the same error.

So, abandoning that, I have just tried to reinstall my existing UMS 5b1 Java7+ file, and now that is giving me the *same error* :?

Everything else on my Mac is fine - other past downloads are fine, as are other new downloads. No issues found with my HDD.
Last edited by Tezcatlipoca on Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tezcatlipoca

Re: "UMS is damaged and cannot be opened"

Post by Tezcatlipoca »

OK, some Googling found the solution.

It's not actually damaged - it's the OS X Gatekeeper giving a different message to normal.

Normally it would simply warn that an unsigned app is unsigned, but for some reason it sometimes says that an app is damaged instead. This is apparently if it detects that an app has been altered in some way, perhaps by someone other than the developer.

It can be fixed by temporarily changing the Gatekeeper options in System Preferences > Security & Privacy from "Allow apps downloaded from Mac App Store" or "...from Mac App Store and identified developers" to "...from Anywhere".

You then open the app by right-clicking, selecting open, and saying you still want to open it.

Once that's done, you can go back to the Gatekeeper preferences and change them back. It will still let the app run after that first time.

-------

Does anyone know why OS X is detecting that it has been altered, though?
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

So the code isn't signed by apple, via a apple developer ID due to the cost. Thats why gate keeper picks it up, the files are fine and aren't damaged like you said in your post
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
Tezcatlipoca

Post by Tezcatlipoca »

Yeah, what threw me was OS X giving a different warning than usual.

I'd never seen that "damaged and can't be opened" error before, only the usual "this isn't signed" error that you can easily get around by doing a right-click open.

Something must have changed with OS X recently, given that it gave me the same "damage" error even when I tried to reinstall 5.0.0.b1, yet when I originally installed that version it gave the normal error.
szimek

Post by szimek »

Thanks for posting the solution! I was stuck on 5.2.3 because of this error and couldn't open any newer version.