Java 8 Prompts for Incoming Network Connections

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
michaelt

Success!

Post by michaelt »

I diff'd the pom and see most of the changes are mostly minor except for one:
Minor:
  • changing osx => osx-java-7-8 in many places
    removal of"p=${binary-revision}" in the Download binaries
    message change on "Create the shortcut…"
and the real change:
  • build package profile, id: osx to osx-java-7-8 with a different method
A question: since there are other build package profiles for the other systems, why can't one just add the osx-java-7-8 package profile as another profile and have only one pom file?

The file: appbundler-1.0.UMS.jar was added on Apr 30, guess I never had the pom to use it.

Did a Clean - Success
Did a Build with Deps - Success - Launched - Detected renderer!
Houston, we have landed.
Thank you very much.

I didn't bother to diff the output - it all worked but can if you are curious.
Now how do we get a wiki page with this information in it for others? I have my own local "UMS Notes" which has it all.
MacPro5,1 - 2.8 GHz, 32 GB, 20TB, OS X 10.11.6,
. . . . and a few others.
Samsung UN55C8000
Home Theater (WIP): OS X based now, dedicated Linux later.
Optimus_prime

Re: Java 8 Prompts for Incoming Network Connections

Post by Optimus_prime »

Thats excellent mate, i'm glad someone else has got it to work.
I didn't bother to diff the output - it all worked but can if you are curious.
Nope not needed as you have it all working.
Now how do we get a wiki page with this information in it for others? I have my own local "UMS Notes" which has it all.
Well i've been meaning to update the wiki for a long time with all this information. I will over the next few weeks be submitting a pull request to get it put into the OSX-Java 7 and 8 branches, i've been busy with work and such (plus lazy as i've got it working and have been putting up with moving it all over everytime i build, into the pom.xml that is). From there if you want i can get it into the wiki if you have it all in a nice how-to.

No-one has ever asked how i build them to be honest. Now someone has and got it working i suppose it's time to put it out there for all to see and use themselves. Thanks for asking and keeping at it :D
Thank you very much.
Anytime mate, I love to try and help where i can. I love giving back where i can to the UMS community
A question: since there are other build package profiles for the other systems, why can't one just add the osx-java-7-8 package profile as another profile and have only one pom file?
Well thats a good question but there's a few issues in how the pom.xml works. I've had many issues in the past but i think i will spend some more time figuring them out and getting it in the code, feel free to try yourself and if you do get it to work let me know so i can test it too. Edit: We need to retain java 6 compatibility, which is the default for UMS in OSX. Thats why i've had issues getting it to play nicely in the pom.
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
michaelt

Post by michaelt »

Optimus_prime wrote:
Well thats a good question but there's a few issues in how the pom.xml works. I've had many issues in the past but i think i will spend some more time figuring them out and getting it in the code, feel free to try yourself and if you do get it to work let me know so i can test it too.
I'll give it a try - I may surprise myself.
One of the differences was the removal of the "p=${binary-revision}" in the Download binaries section. Do you know if this was necessary for getting it to work or just more redundant code.
Samsung UN55C8000
michaelt

NOT: Java 8 Prompts for Incoming Network Connections

Post by michaelt »

No network prompt with these builds.
Since you do not see it with your builds, I am guessing it is a side effect or feature of the security enhancements in Java 7-8.

Might want to put out a call later for others to help test: run and build-run to root-cause this.

Played around with some changes I made. Some worked, some surprises but 'normal' learning curve for me.

More later.

Edit: yesterday it did not prompt, today it does. Complications. This is not the only time I have seen 'good' first-time executions followed by 'bad' there after. Thoughts later.
Edit #2: the prompting seems to have gone away. Self correcting code?
Samsung UN55C8000
michaelt

Post by michaelt »

From there if you want i can get it into the wiki if you have it all in a nice how-to.
Ok - can I send you a pdf?
Cleaning it up now, removing old bad info. Question: the mvn commands:
  • Code: Select all

mvn com.savage7.maven.plugins:maven-external-dependency-plugin:resolve-external
    mvn com.savage7.maven.plugins:maven-external-dependency-plugin:install-external

I assume it's done for each project and not once for all.
add the osx-java-7-8 package profile as another profile and have only one pom file?
Well thats a good question but there's a few issues in how the pom.xml works. I've had many issues in the past but i think i will spend some more time figuring them out and getting it in the code, feel free to try yourself and if you do get it to work let me know so i can test it too. Edit: We need to retain java 6 compatibility, which is the default for UMS in OSX. Thats why i've had issues getting it to play nicely in the pom.
OK - working on this too:
  • 1- I would question Java6 as the default on the basis of Apple recommending Java8 due to security issues. (Why be way behind the release rev's?) If Java6 must be available, the id should be "osx-java-6", "osx" should be reserved for the best, recommended one or not used at all.
    2- do you know if the "p=${binary-revision}" in these lines is needed for Java6? They are not in Java-7-8.

Code: Select all

<!-- Download binaries -->
    										<get src="${project.binaries-base}/osx/dcraw?p=${binary-revision}" dest="${project.binaries}/osx/dcraw" usetimestamp="true" />
    										<get src="${project.binaries-base}/osx/ffmpeg?p=${binary-revision}" dest="${project.binaries}/osx/ffmpeg" usetimestamp="true" />
    										<get src="${project.binaries-base}/osx/flac?p=${binary-revision}" dest="${project.binaries}/osx/flac" usetimestamp="true" />
    										<get src="${project.binaries-base}/osx/libmediainfo.dylib?p=${binary-revision}" dest="${project.binaries}/libmediainfo.dylib" usetimestamp="true" />
    										<get src="${project.binaries-base}/MediaInfo-License.html?p=${binary-revision}" dest="${project.binaries}/MediaInfo-License.html" usetimestamp="true" />
    										<get src="${project.binaries-base}/osx/mencoder?p=${binary-revision}" dest="${project.binaries}/osx/mencoder" usetimestamp="true" />
    										<get src="${project.binaries-base}/osx/mplayer?p=${binary-revision}" dest="${project.binaries}/osx/mplayer" usetimestamp="true" />
    										<get src="${project.binaries-base}/osx/tsMuxeR?p=${binary-revision}" dest="${project.binaries}/osx/tsMuxeR" usetimestamp="true" />
    										<get src="${project.binaries-base}/osx/tsMuxeR-new?p=${binary-revision}" dest="${project.binaries}/osx/tsMuxeR-new" usetimestamp="true" />

Samsung UN55C8000
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Nice work mate, but i'm submitting the pull request this week with the pom changes. I'll detail them for you soon but it's an easy fix in the end and to prompted me to get off my arse and do them.

nope it should be done once and once only to build the list of dependencies for storage on your machine (i think thats the way it works, does for me)
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
michaelt

Post by michaelt »

Optimus_prime wrote:Nice work mate, but i'm submitting the pull request this week with the pom changes. I'll detail them for you soon but it's an easy fix in the end and to prompted me to get off my arse and do them.
Edited the new pom to add the old osx section as "osx-Java-6". Works fine for Java-8 but how do I test build the Java-6 (not that I really want to use it).
*** What about the "p=${binary-revision}" stuff? ***
Optimus_prime wrote:

nope it should be done once and once only to build the list of dependencies for storage on your machine (i think thats the way it works, does for me)
Good - I'll put it into the early "Once Only" section. The old wiki is not clear about a lot of stuff. (Also I have a ubuntu system I can fire up, update & test there too.)
Samsung UN55C8000
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Here mate:
https://github.com/UniversalMediaServer ... r/pull/552
theres the changes i've made and hopefully will be accepted this week

Feel free to submit to me any changes to the wiki in an email (pm'd it to you) and i'll put them in. Thanks for all your help mate
How Ask For Support