Mencoder fails when transcode to h264 (PS4)

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
gcorson

Mencoder fails when transcode to h264 (PS4)

Post by gcorson »

Hi,
I setup UMS (fresh install) 5.2.1 on a PC and it works fine. Then I did the same setup on a Mac/Yosemite/Java 8, also fresh install (I removed an older UMS from "applications" and the /library/Application Support/UMS directory) and none of the "add subtitle" transcoding is working. I just get an error 1 from mencoder, no spikes in CPU usage, doesn't look like it's even trying.

This is with the PS4 as the renderer. I tried a number of different files and anything that required transcoding just failed.

Then I tried changing to this line in the config file

TranscodeVideo = MPEGTS-MPEG2-AC3

Now it seems to work fine, but it's transcoding to MPEG2 instead of H.264 of course.

Any idea why transcoding to h.264 is not working?

Trace log is attached.
Attachments
ums_dbg.zip
(13.87 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
gcorson

Re: Mencoder fails when transcode to h264 (PS4)

Post by gcorson »

Didn't realize it right away, but changing the transcode to mpeg2 didn't really solve the problem either, the video and sound play now, but I don't get any subtitles. And prior to installing 5.2.1 the subtitles were working on PS3 (I was running 5.0.0) Here's a second trace log, transcoding to mpeg2 but no subtitles showing up
gcorson

Post by gcorson »

Sorry.... mpeg2 without subtitles trace is here...
Attachments
ums_dbg2.zip
(32.88 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
gcorson

Post by gcorson »

Ok, hacking at this for too long now....this is very frustrating. Not really sure why UMS works perfectly with PS4 when you run it on a PC, but run it on a mac and nothing but plane untranscoded video will work.

Was able to get subtitles working again on PS3 by unchecking "use embedded style" and specifying /Library/Fonts/Arial.ttf as the font. So the PS3 problem seemed to have something to do with not finding the right fonts.

However PS4 still does not work. Any time it tries to transcode something, the video just doesn't play. Doesn't matter if I have it set to transcode to MPEG2 or H264, it just fails.