OS 10.8.6 - can't read files via UMS Navigation/Shared Settings Window

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Miklos

OS 10.8.6 - can't read files via UMS Navigation/Shared Settings Window

Post by Miklos »

I am a newcomer to UMS - so please bear with me. I am using a Mac (OS 10.8.6) in conjunction with a Marantz NA6005 and have just downloaded UMS primarily to access audio files from my Mac into the Marantz. Everything seems to have connected via Wireless OK and UMS is clearly identified by the Marantz. Although everything looks OK when I try to obtain any files via the Navigation/Share Settings window on the UMS Main Panel on the Mac, all the named files are appearing greyed out (this applies to everything from audio files (mpg, flac, etc) or images (jpeg). I uninstalled the UMS download thinking that it hadn't downloaded properly - but on the second time around it was just a repeat of the same with everything greyed out. I have tried to look for similar around the Forum - but nothing comes up with such a basic query. I must be either doing something wrong or I have not got it configured correctly - although I have not altered anything from the initial unloading of the application. Any suggestions?
Miklos

Re: OS 10.8.6 - can't read files via UMS Navigation/Shared Settings Window

Post by Miklos »

Burning the midnight oil over this I suddenly hit upon a possible solution......

By doing what it says on the tin (Shared Folders) I found out that I could identify and add "Folders" from my MAC Hard Drive - however opening the Folders via UMS and attempting to identify individual files - they still were showing greyed out.

So perhaps that it the answer (????) - it is only possible to add Folders to the Share Settings window and NOT individual files.

Does anyone know if that is correct?

Although the Marantz identified and played the audio files from selected folders it seemed to reject some file formats. FLAC, mp3 seemed OK but for some reason AIFF files were deemed as 'invalid file format'. This might be down to the Marantz - however the same AIFF files downloaded onto a USB stick were read and played by the Marantz without any problem.

Hmmmmmmm......