El Capitan and UMS - UMS not starting

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
paul2401

El Capitan and UMS - UMS not starting

Post by paul2401 »

I'm new to this forum and having browed the many topics I dont think my problem is exactly the same as others even though on face value it appears to be.
I am running an imac with El Capitan 10.11.2. I have downloaded UMS 6.0.0.a1 and Java 8 update 66. UMS does not start up. After downloading UMS a "UMS-6.0.0Java 7" page appears (two icons UMS and a link to Applications). After clicking on the UMS icon, another UMS icom appears in the dock. This icon does nothing apart from the ability to remove itself from the dock. No where on my imac (applications, finder etc) does UMS actually appear. In my view it has not loaded from the download. Also tried UMS 5.3.1Java 7. Exactly the same results - nothing. Very frustrating.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
snakebyte

Re: El Capitan and UMS - UMS not starting

Post by snakebyte »

Hey Paul 2401,

The first thing to do in OSX is get to system preferences ,then go to security & privacy and on the first tab , be sure that you select : allow apps downloaded from : Mac Appstore & trusted developers (option 2).

When you have selected option 1 ,you will not be able to install any third party software on your mac other than from the Appstore.

I hope this will do the trick.

Good luck and greetssssssssssss,

Snakebyte.
paul2401

Post by paul2401 »

Unfortunately it was already set for option 2. Worth a look though and it eliminates a possibility. Thanks anyway
SubJunk
Lead Developer

Post by SubJunk »

Have you tried the newer releases?
paul2401

Post by paul2401 »

Downloaded the latest release UMS 6.0.0.b1 no difference.
Further information - after downloading UMS - (any of the 3 versions I now have makes no difference) I open the download which in turn opens the finder window were I see a UMS icon and a link to Applications. Rather than click on UMS icon that just puts an icon in the dock and nothing else, I right clicked on it and selected "Show package contents"
In the finder window that now opens there is all the folders etc you would expect to see for the UMS app. My (uniformed) view - whatever triggers UMS to install either isn't there or isn't being activated for UMS to start up. Food for thought for someone - hopefully.
wytpages

Post by wytpages »

I have basically the same issue. UMS installs - when opening app - message = 'Unable to load Java Runtime Environment'.

I have seen this before, some years back with another DLNA server. Fix was in relation to the Java runtime environment.