PMS quit unexpectedly.

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Robi

PMS quit unexpectedly.

Post by Robi »

I trying to become a new user of UMS. The environment:
iMac, Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3, Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5
I installed jre-8u66-macosx-x64.dmg successfully. Next I installed UMS-5.5.0-Java8, also seemingly successfully. When I click on the UMS icon in the Applications folder the above message appears in a window with a large exclamation mark in a triangle, with the buttons: Show Detail, OK and Reopen. I have clicked on Show Detail and copied the text there into the attached file.
What have I done wrong? Any help is welcome. Thank you.
Attachments
PMS quit unexpectedly.zip
(101.46 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
Nadahar

Re: PMS quit unexpectedly.

Post by Nadahar »

There is an error in the 5.5.0 release for OS X. Please use 5.4.0 until the next release.
Robi

Post by Robi »

Thank you for your prompt response. I have downloaded and installed Universal Media Server released /Official Releases/OS X/UMS-5.4.0-Java8.dmg. Now I am a step further. UMS started up and after responding to some questions it is up and presumably running, but no window appears. What have I done wrong?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Please post new debug files, it's awfully hard to guess ;)
Robi

Post by Robi »

How can I generate a debug file without any UMS window showing up? Can I use some OSX facility?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Robi wrote:How can I generate a debug file without any UMS window showing up? Can I use some OSX facility?
Sorry, that statement was meant for another thread and I have no idea how I ended up posting it here :oops:

You can see if there's any log generated, from you "home" folder go to: /Library/Application Support/UMS. In there it will hopefully be a file called "debug.log". If so, upload it here.
Robi

Post by Robi »

There does not seem to be a UMS folder in /Library/Application Support/.
When I start up it asks: "Do you want the application "Universal Media Server.app"to accept incoming network connections? Clicking Deny may limit the application's behavior. This setting can be changed in the Firewall pane of Security & Privacy preferences."
There are two buttons: Deny and Allow. I clicked Allow. After that nothing seems to be happening except that the UMS icon has a dot under it in the bar of icons on the bottom of the screen.
I tried restarting the application and select Deny, but nothing new happened.
Next I deleted the application altogether and re-installed it from the UMS-5.4.0-Java8.dmg. The behavior did not change. I am stuck. Any suggestions?
Robi

Post by Robi »

In addition, I noticed that at the time of installation, it did not ask me, as administrator, for my password. Could it be that the installation was incomplete? How can I tell?
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I know nothing about the installation process on OS X, I don't use any aPple products. Someone else will have to help with this. If you search the forum, I bet you find plenty information about installing UMS on mAc.
snakebyte

Post by snakebyte »

Robi,

Nadahar was almost correct about the path to find the UMS folder, but the thing he forgot to mention is that you have to go to the: User/Library/Application Support , to find the folder called UMS.
When you use the path Nadahar described,you will acces the system-library and you will only find root/system files.

I hope this helps.

Greetsssssssss Snakebyte