Using UMS with Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
kitty654321

Using UMS with Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN

Post by kitty654321 »

Hey guys,

Hope you can help out a gal in trouble. I'm trying to get UMS working on my home network but I'm having some difficulty. Basically, UMS is just what I am looking for but I keep running into a problem. I use Private Internet Access as a VPN and this seems to cause problems for UMS. Whenever the VPN is connected UMS doesn't work and cannot be found by my WDTV Live box. I have to disconnect the VPN and relaunch UMS and it all works okay. Problem is that I need the VPN connected while using UMS.

When I initially set up UMS my VPN was connected and it worked. Now it doesn't. I think. Help.

I'm a bit out of my comfort zone here and googling hasn't resulted in anything (my usual tried and tested method). Could anyone shed some light as I'm desperate to use UMS. 8-)

EDIT: I'm using the latest UMS with OSX 10.11.1.
valib
Developer

Re: Using UMS with Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN

Post by valib »

The DLNA servers like the UMS don't work with the VPN. The DLNA protocol is based on the UPnP protocol so all renderers and the UMS must be at the same local network. The VPN can be used only for the UMS web interface.
kitty654321

Post by kitty654321 »

Thanks for your reply, that's a real shame that it doesn't work. The UMS is on the same local network as my media content - it's just the external IP address that's different.

I did play around with some settings - GENERAL > NETWORK SETTINGS (ADVANCED) > "Force Networking on Interface" was changed from the blank option to "en0 (192....)" which successfully allowed UMS to appear on the WDTV live while connected to my VPN.

It seemed to be working okay, although I am having some separate issues with 1080p video playback, but that's for another forum post.
MrCookie

Post by MrCookie »

Your solution worked for me, I'm using VPN & had to keep switching it off whilst using UMS
wallman

Post by wallman »

MrCookie wrote:Your solution worked for me, I'm using VPN & had to keep switching it off whilst using UMS

That's how I worked around it a few months back. Forced it to bind to my physical NIC, since when it's blank it seem to bind to the VPN virtual adapter.