[Testers Required] UMS Running on Java 7

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Optimus_prime

Re: [Testers Required] UMS Running on Java 7

Post by Optimus_prime »

I'm not sure what to do about this one. I haven't seen anyone else report this issue so i can not figure out a magic fix. One thing, take your -Xss back to 2048k as that is the maximum thread size, this is what we have figured out in testing is the best size. If you need to increase it, do it in 128k steps, to find the right balance. Now -Xmx is a funny thing, if other app's are using java then that will limit the amount of memory that can be allocated to the heap. Whilst normally one can increase the heaps size you must do so carefully. It's all about finding the balance. But if i find something in my testing i will post as soon as i do. Also 1280mb is max -Xmx i would set.
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
NotarySojac

Post by NotarySojac »

Optimus_prime wrote:I'm not sure what to do about this one. I haven't seen anyone else report this issue so i can not figure out a magic fix. One thing, take your -Xss back to 2048k as that is the maximum thread size, this is what we have figured out in testing is the best size. If you need to increase it, do it in 128k steps, to find the right balance. Now -Xmx is a funny thing, if other app's are using java then that will limit the amount of memory that can be allocated to the heap. Whilst normally one can increase the heaps size you must do so carefully. It's all about finding the balance. But if i find something in my testing i will post as soon as i do. Also 1280mb is max -Xmx i would set.
We have a couple of other Java apps running on the Mini server - CrashPlan has its heap set to about 2Gb as I recall because of the size of the archive it manages. I will follow your suggestions on UMS's heap and see what happens.
WayfaringStranger

Post by WayfaringStranger »

I just installed it last night. Currntly it does not see my Sharp Aquos. The model number on mine is LC60LE830U. My Blu-ray is seen.

Content that was seen before in the folders now cannot be seen in the folders.

Where do you want me to go from here?

BTW OS = 10.9.4
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Not sure whats going on but i will need to test this more when i'm back. I haven't found anything myself thats pointing to any issues with the Java 7 version, maybe post a few logs java 6 vs java 7 if you could so as to compare
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
WayfaringStranger

Post by WayfaringStranger »

OK, since I don't know how to revert my Java back to the previous version, I just re-installed the old version of UMS. I ended up with the same results on the renderer (only disc player seen).

So, how do I revert my Java?
suicidesamurai

Post by suicidesamurai »

I have a tip I want to see if it affects other people. Im am using UMS version 4.0.0b1 (built for java 8) and am running java 8u11. Most everything I try to play works. (I was thinking Ill post a log next time I get a rare file that doesnt play) will be a while till that happens though.

Otherwise I was having issues with subtitles not showing using FFMPEG as a transcoder after I upgraded to 10.8.4. (Im now on the 10.9 whatever the latest update is) I learned a solution for this. Just go to "Common transcode settings" under the "trancode settings" tab

Where it says "specify truetype fonts for subtitles" I have /Library/Fonts/Arial.ttf as a specification. Apparently they changed how OSX handles fonts when they updated OSX to Mavericks.

So far I do not have any problems with subtitles under FFMPEG after telling UMS where to find the font. FFMPEG is pretty much the only renderer I use since it works SO well. BTW I have "enable multithreading" checked under the FFMPEG settings and I do not have "Remux videos with TSmuxer" checked, nor do I have "fontconfig/embedded fonts" options checked.

Rarely do I have a video not work with FFMPEG. So I only use the other options if FFMPEG does not work. I am transcoding to a ps3 slim running the latest firmware.