[Testers Required] UMS Running on Java 7

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Kefran

Re: [Testers Required] UMS Running on Java 7

Post by Kefran »

Hi Marco (buccia),

No doubt you are in very capable hands with Optimus, and he will most likely have a fix for you soon.

In the meantime, if you haven't tried this already, try booting your iMac using the 64bit Kernel; restart your iMac and hold down '6' and '4' keys during startup process. Check out Apple knowledge base article http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773, for more information.

Then check:

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
You should get something ending with: RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Give UMS another try --fingers crossed! :)
uman2k

Post by uman2k »

Hi Optimus!
Everything is running smooth on OSX 10.8.4. Nice Job!

UTF8 accents doesn't shown on your last build. I had build the 3.0 with the Java 1.6 version from github and it seems to work fine.

Thanks.
buccia

Post by buccia »

Hi Kefran and Optimus
even if i do

sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64

and get this message

setting kernel architecture to: x86_64
changes to kernel architecture have been saved.

after restarting my mac, the output of

uname -a

is still
Darwin imac-di-marco.homenet.telecomitalia.it 11.4.2 Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.2: Thu Aug 23 16:26:45 PDT 2012; root:xnu-1699.32.7~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

and UMS does not start anyway........

Thanks for the help
Marco
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

uman2k thats strange, it should show up. When subjunk releases the 3.0.0.a1 check that out. It's up on sourceforge now under /Beta Builds/Offical Builds if you want to check it out
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
Kefran

Post by Kefran »

Marco,

What CPU does your iMac have?
buccia

Post by buccia »

Hi Kefran,
i have just checked: i have a late 2006 iMac, which does NOT support 64-bit kernel. Does this mean that the problems i am experiencing are due to this? In this case i fear that there are no solutions :(
Ciao marco
Optimus_prime

Post by Optimus_prime »

Yes i think the issue is related to the fact the kernel spits out a different value for a required setting on i386 version of OS-X. Don't fear though i'm attempting to work on a fix as time permits (work, work, work)
How Ask For Support
Remember, Debug Log's Can/Will Help and Explain your issues, we're not mind reader's but here to help
OS's I Use And Can Assist With: Windows 7/8, Mac OS-X 10.8 & 10.9
Mac OS-X Java 7 Builds Mac OS-X Java 7 Forum
buccia

Post by buccia »

Thanks Optimus.
You are the best!
Ciao marco
rowie3103

Post by rowie3103 »

Hi Optimus,

I gotta say you guys impress the hell outta me....I was looking for a 'complimentary solution' for my home as I have a mix of Mac/PC and also some very old AVI's that I couldn't be bothered moving over. So venturing through the web I cam across Plex, Serviio etc And I was not impressed at all, and i will be honest I am far from being a techie. I came across UMS around a week ago but really haven't had a chance to do anything with until now. So I decided based on your post to create a green fields site with UMS 3.0.0-a1 on Java.

My environment is Wired/Wireless, a iMac iCore i3 3.2 GHZ 4GB RAM 1 TB of Disk. I am on OSX 10.8.3. I have 2 EXT 2TB USB HDDs connected, 1 serving Apple Media, the other serving 'non' Apple media. Not surprising and i was half expecting it, i was having some performance issue's...My Mac connects to a 5GHZ Wireless network and with UMS I am using DLNA to 2 of my SAMSUNG Smart TV's (2 yrs old max), a Sony Bravia Wireless BDPS390 (Blu Ray with DLNA). So I had a few issues and decided to debug for you and attach. I think there are a few issues outside of our control like.

with Java Plugin's - I kept getting this error xception in thread "pool-172-thread-26" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:

And 'KNOWN' issues such as *sandboxd[5309]: ([5303]) mdworker(5303) deny mach-lookup com.apple.ls.boxd+ and the andbox: sandboxd(1863) deny mach-lookup com.apple.coresymbolicationd - that seem to have the Mac world in a tizz about.

Anyway sorry i went for so long but wanted to have everything down for you - hopefully it helps and feel free to ask me for any other reports etc...Just remember I am no techie so explain with loud letters ;-)

P.S> Before anyone says anything yes crazy, and also next week i pick up my Quad Core MAC Mini as an OSX Server, and of course upgrading the iMac to 16GB Ram

CIAO Rowie
Attachments
syslog-180813-rowe-MACOSX.log
(431.16 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
debug-180813-rowe-UMS.log
(64.85 KiB) Downloaded 519 times
Last edited by rowie3103 on Sat May 18, 2013 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
rowie3103

Post by rowie3103 »

Sorry forgot a file
Attachments
ums_dbg_180513_rowe.zip
(11.32 KiB) Downloaded 518 times