UMS not showing up on oppo player network

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
strawbib

UMS not showing up on oppo player network

Post by strawbib »

I am trying to stream my audio collection stored on my imac to my oppo bdp-103 player connected to my home stereo. It is too far away to run a hard line and so I am trying to connect wirelessly through my network. UMS sees my oppo player but my oppo player wont see UMS. I am running el capitan 10.11.6 and java 8. I have UMS version 6.5.1. My firewalls are turned off and file sharing is turned on. Help!
Nadahar

Re: UMS not showing up on oppo player network

Post by Nadahar »

You should read the red text above.
strawbib

Post by strawbib »

How do I "reproduce the bug"?
strawbib

Post by strawbib »

ums_dbg.zip
(15.67 KiB) Downloaded 559 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

That was a problem I've never seen before, it reports running out of heap space - and that Swing (the UI) can't find the Java binary.

I'm not familiar with OS X configuration and Java installation, but it seems to me something is wrong here. Is your Java installation as it should? It might be worth trying to reinstall Java. Also, if you're running other Java programs at the same time, try running only UMS.

You can also try increasing the Java heap limit with e.g

Code: Select all

-Xms1024M -Xmx2048M
when launching UMS if you have enough memory available. In the example given here, 1024M is the minimum heap size and 2048M the maximum - you can try different values.

It also seems you didn't use "trace" mode when generating the log files as the description specifies. We need "trace" mode to be able to see what is happening.
strawbib

Post by strawbib »

Thanks for the reply. I am not a programmer so much of the language you are using means nothing to me. Heap space, UI, swing, java binary???? are those things part of UMS or part of Java? If you tell me where to go and how to fix it, I can do that. I am running the latest versions of both OSX and Java. Also, I did use trace mode when I generated the log files. but I will try again
ums_dbg.zip
(15.67 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't consider most of the terms developer specific, but I'll give you a quick recap (google could have done the same for you):

UI = User interface, ie. the part of any program that you interact with - usually in the form of one of more windows that you can close, minimize etc. Most of what a program does is not visible or otherwise "detectable" by human senses, and thus it's normal to separate the two.

Java is a programming language, but it is also something more - it's a "concept" where you have something called a virtual machine running on a computer. When a Java Virtual Machine (JVM) is installed and running, that computer can run Java programs. Normally a program runs directly in the Operating System (OS), but with Java it's different. While this complicates things a bit, the advantage is that you can make a program that, in theory at least, can run on any computer running a JVM - making it OS or platform independent. Where it not for this I can't possibly think that UMS would have been available for OS X, none of the developers use OS X as far as I know.

Swing is one of several UI libraries for Java - that is - code that is made available to others that make it easier to create a UI.

Binary/Executable is the name of a program in machine readable form as opposed to source code which is the human readable form. Some languages are compiled/converted from source code to binary while it's running so that all you ever need is the source code (E.g Python, Perl). A Java executable isn't a "true" executable since it can only be run by a JVM, but it's still common to call it a binary or ar JAR (Java Archive).

Heap space is more complicated so you'll have to read about it if you want to know what it is, but it has to do with how a computer manages its memory. The reason I mentioned heap space is that the error message given from the JVM to UMS is about that.

To run UMS or any other Java program on OS X or any other OS you need to have a working JVM. This is where it seems that the problem is in your case. I have no detailed knowledge of installing and configuring Java/JVM on OS X, so I can't help with that. I can just state that very quickly after starting up UMS runs out of heap space (memory) and crashes. That either means that you either have to little RAM (Random-Access Memory) on your computer, that the RAM you have are already used by other programs so to little is available for UMS or that your JVM is configured to use to little of the RAM you have. The commands I gave you were just from a quick google for increasing JVM heap space.

As the JVM and UMS are two separate things and the JVM is what seems to be the problem here, it's not much we can do about it. If anyone that has more knowledge about Java on OS X has something to add that would be helpful, but my knowledge of this is close to non-existing as I don't own any Apple product.
snakebyte

Post by snakebyte »

Dear strawbib,

To change the javaheapsize in OSX follow the next steps.

In 'Applications' find the UMS app, click on it with the right mouse button and choose :' Show package contents' ,then open the ' contents' folder.
Here you will find the : info.plist.
Open this with for example TextEdit.
In the 10th and 9th lines from the bottom you will find the texts Xmx and Xss followed by some digits.
you can alter the digits and then close the file.
Be aware that you can only make steps which are normally used for memory appointing like : 8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024 etc,etc.
You can play around with these settings a little see what fits best, but be aware that after each change you will have to restart UMS again for changes to have affect.
Also be aware that the higher the memory value you appoint the more memory it uses from your Mac so other apps can be running slow or even will not function at all.
So be wise with your choices :D :D :D

Hopes this will help.

Greetsssssss,

Snakebyte.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

Great, thank you for the info snakebyte ;)
snakebyte

Post by snakebyte »

You're welcome.

Let's hope this will do the trick :D