Mac OSX 10.11 and 10.12 with UMS 6.5.1

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
NOTaMango

Mac OSX 10.11 and 10.12 with UMS 6.5.1

Post by NOTaMango »

Hey, I've been trying to track down a pausing issue that has been happening since I've been using UMS. The issue is present when running UMS on two different machines. The machines are Mac Pro trashcans using external thunderbolt drives. One mac is running 10.11.6 the other 10.12, both are on UMS 6.5.1.

What happens is seemingly at random, the video pauses for 2 seconds and then resumes without interaction, it happens with great frequency 5-20 times in 5 minutes. I see nothing apparent in Console.app or anything in the UMS logs, though I am not familiar with the UMS logging, but there is no entry when the issue happens at the associated time.

I don't believe this to be an encoding issue as I have no trouble playing the same library from the old ps3 media server and judging by activity monitor it's hardly using any cpu. However, that's irrelevant anyway as when I lower the quality the issue is still present.

Hoping you can point me in some direction.

Here is a link to my debug.log: http://momewraths.com/files/debug.log

Thanks,
-N
NOTaMango

Re: Mac OSX 10.11 and 10.12 with UMS 6.5.1

Post by NOTaMango »

I'd also like to add that this is a wired 1 gig network.
camosy

Post by camosy »

Im going to reply since Im here and no-one else has jumped.

A few things to try after my experiences of using ums on various mac and networks. Re playback.

'it happens with great frequency 5-20 times in 5 minutes'
I've had this problem with large mkv's > 2gb

1] mkv's whilst supported don't work as nice as mp4 on PS3/4. So if I've got a buggy series of MKV's, I just handbrake.app them to mp4's.
2] the media player on the ps3/ps4 has copyright protection, its the reason why its get updated all the time. again handbrake fixes that.
3] if your downsampling your video to a more lenient bit rate for wireless playback (within UMS that is), either way your putting pressure on UMS to keep up decoding.
4] Do all files do the pausing, or just big 2gb monster mkv's?
5] Try sharing some of your files on the installed drive rather than via thunderbolt drive. (in case its a weird Apple interface issue)
6] The ps3/4 has physical network/download speed limits. It's why downloading a game from the ps store is sooo slow.
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/ ... p/44803564
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I'd also like to add that the log file is of no help since the red text above hasn't been followed. That usually leads to no reply, as there is no relevant information to start with.