having problems with Java

For help and support with Universal Media Server
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply
Nadahar

Re: having problems with Java

Post by Nadahar »

I'm sorry but I simply know to little about OS X to be of any help troubleshooting this. Isn't there some "Mac" forum somewhere that can offer help on issues like this? This isn't UMS related, if you get Java to work I'm pretty sure UMS will too.

If anybody else here knows anything, please speak up..!
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

I'm already klnda mentally preparing myself to format. I was using UMS 5.3.2 before and had problems with my PS4, which wouldn't let UMS transcode files as MKV with DTS or subtiles (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9112 , sorry for repost). I was messing around with Java, trying to instal the latest UMS update and hoping this would fix the transcoding issues. PS4 would only play "No Transcoding" files".

I just wish to know now if this has been fixed and if it is worth trying to instal Java 7 and the latest UMS version after formatting or if I better save myself the trouble and stick with 5.3.2.
Sami32

Re: having problems with Java upgrade on Mac OS X 10.6.4

Post by Sami32 »

Hi,

Since i know nothing about Mac don't be rude at me, but i have a friend called Google ;)

In the case you want do some OS upgrade before:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5309575?tstart=0

For Java upgrade:
http://jksha.blogspot.fr/2013/09/java-7 ... x-106.html
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1353 ... ow-leopard

And if you feel fine to make your own Java build for Mac OS X:(at the end you have links for Java 7/8/9 build instructions)
https://github.com/hgomez/obuildfactory

Hoping that can help you with your Mac/Java issue.
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

I don't own a PS4 and has no idea what works and not there. I would think I would have heard more about it if transcoding didn't work for the PS4 at all, but I can't guarantee that any particular fix for your issue has been done - this could also be a configuration error. But, AFAICU you can't even get UMS 5.3.2 to work now, since you have no working Java..?

If you do reinstall I'm assuming you won't install 10.6.x again? If so, you should have access to Java 7 and 8. That means there would be no reason to stick to 5.3.2 as far as I can see.
snakebyte

Post by snakebyte »

Cinephile,

Guessing you are Dutch as I see your PC name, maybe you can check this link from Java about removing all Java from your Mac.
https://www.java.com/nl/download/help/m ... l_java.xml
After following these guidelines try to freshly install Java., but when you are not able to upgrade your OS to 10.7 (Lion ,costs about €20,-) or higher due to your mac being pre 2008, then it probably won't work at all.
You won't be able to install Lion on the pre 2008 machines as these are not fitted with the correct hardware to run the newer OS's.
When your machine is from late 2009 or younger it should also be possible to upgrade past Lion up to the latest version of OS, being Sierra.
Every OS update that Apple released after Lion was free to download from the Apple store so I guess that Nadahar was a little bit of on his view about Apple on this one :D :D :D

Hoping this will help you a little further with your quest.

Greetssssssssssss

Snakebyte
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

I reformatted my OS and UMS 5.3.2 is working again. I updated to OS 10.6.8 but I'm still not sure if I should try to mess with Pacifist again. I wouldn't want to format my mac again if Java gets corrupted again.
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

I looked up some information about my system. I also uploaded a file with the information I got from the Terminal about the version of Java that currently is installed. Any suggestions of what my upgrade options are?

Modelname: MacBook Pro
Model: MacBookPro6,2
Processorname: Intel Core i5
Processor speed: 2,4 GHz
number of processors: 1
Number of cores: 2
L2-cache (per core): 256 KB
L3-cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Interconnectionspeed processor: 4.8 GT/s
Opstart-ROM-versie: MBP61.0057.B0C
SMC-versie (systeem): 1.58f16
Serialnumber (system): W8045M9EAGU
Hardware-UUID: D698BDD1-2556-577A-A38C-5A7599FE737B
Sudden Motion Sensor:
Attachments
Java Info.txt
(2.36 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@snakebyte It doesn't matter if it's short term or long term money they expect to get, when they do things like this (forcing upgrade for no good reason) they always have an agenda of how this can make them richer. This goes for Apple, M$ and all the other "bad boys", but Apple is the "industry leader" in treating customers badly imo. It seems like M$ is trying to catch up though, with all the crap they have pulled with Win8/10 and now actively sabotaging WinXP trying to force people to upgrade. They have for example pressured Oracle to not release new Java versions that will work on XP if I understood it correctly, and they pull this shit all over the place. They have recently removed an option in Visual Studio that made things work on XP "due to security concerns", so that people making other software that has always worked on XP suddenly experience that their software no longer works there.

This is the kind of crap I'm talking about, and there's no doubt in my mind that making it so hard to get Java working on older OS X versions is due to something like this. Forcing people to upgrade to OS'es that "intergrates" with their services (and stores) is one example of why they expect to make money on you even though the OS upgrade itself is "free".
Nadahar

Post by Nadahar »

@cinephile If you want to try again if up to you, but my guess it that what went wront the last time was when you uninstalled the old Java version. Chances are much greater that it will work now on a fresh install. Also, reinstalling the OS isn't much work imo, the real work is configuring everything and installing software etc. If you try to install Java 7 before you do all the other things, there aren't that much work if it goes wrong and you have to reinstall the OS again.

About the java info you attached, it's not really any info - it's simply the "help" printed by Java. To show the version, type:

Code: Select all

java -version
It's probably not worth it though, Apple quit their Java support with Java 6, so there is no newer Java version from Apple. You have to use Oracle Java to get Java 7 or 8 AFAIK - there is an unfinished OpenJDK project for OS X, but it looks abandoned.
cinephile

Post by cinephile »

Ok, I'll do some testing.

Some info I got from Terminal:

java version "1.6.0_17"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_17-b04-248)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.3-b01-101, mixed mode)

Thanks for all the help so far.

Cheers!